Police: Homeowner shoots, kills alleged intruder in his South Salt Lake back yard
SOUTH SALT LAKE — An alleged intruder who was armed with a knife was shot and killed when a homeowner confronted him Friday night.
Police were called to the home, near 3730 S. 200 East, at about 8:30 p.m., after a homeowner reported hearing a noise in his back yard. The homeowner told police he went to investigate and was confronted by a man with a knife, according to South Salt Lake police Sgt. Gary Keller.
Keller said the "confrontation quickly escalated" and the man, 68-year-old David Antonio Trujillo, was shot and later pronounced dead. Police did not release the name of the homeowner.
Police say the homeowner is cooperating with the ongoing investigation. It remains unknown why Trujillo was armed with a knife and in the back yard of the residence where the shooting occurred.
No arrests have been made and upon completion of the investigation, the case will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's office for screening.
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Salt Lake man killed, 3 others injured in...
- 2 Kearns men not wearing seat belts killed in...
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Utah case highlights painful challenges...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 74
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17