Scott Winterton, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Firefighters found a man's body inside a burning home Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported about just after 1 p.m. at 3303 W. 4400 South. A residential alarm alerted fire crews as well as neighbors, who saw smoke coming from the structure, said West Valley Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald.
The structure was "well involved" when fire crews arrived, Fitzgerald said. The body of a man was found about 10 feet inside the front door.
The name of the man was not immediately released. His body was taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office to determine a cause of death.
Both West Valley firefighters and police will now investigate the incident. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire but not before it caused $75,000 in damage, according to the West Valley Fire Department.
Neighbor Don Darling said the man who died in the fire lived at the home with his father. Darling noticed the fire Wednesday afternoon, figured the man was inside and tried to save him, he said.
"I have 911 on the phone, and I'm telling them they need to get here, there's a person inside," Darling said.
He said he and another neighbor tried to get in the home but were unsuccessful.
"(We) couldn't go inside; there was no way. The smoke was so bad, you just couldn't get in there," Darling said.
He and the other neighbors are grieving at the man's death, Darling said.
"It's just a sad, sad day," he said.
Contributing: Ben Lockhart, Nicole Vowell
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14