Scott Winterton, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Firefighters found a man's body inside a burning home Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported about just after 1 p.m. at 3303 W. 4400 South. A residential alarm alerted fire crews as well as neighbors, who saw smoke coming from the structure, said West Valley Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald.
The structure was "well involved" when fire crews arrived, Fitzgerald said. The body of a man was found about 10 feet inside the front door.
The name of the man was not immediately released. His body was taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office to determine a cause of death.
Both West Valley firefighters and police will now investigate the incident. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire but not before it caused $75,000 in damage, according to the West Valley Fire Department.
Neighbor Don Darling said the man who died in the fire lived at the home with his father. Darling noticed the fire Wednesday afternoon, figured the man was inside and tried to save him, he said.
"I have 911 on the phone, and I'm telling them they need to get here, there's a person inside," Darling said.
He said he and another neighbor tried to get in the home but were unsuccessful.
"(We) couldn't go inside; there was no way. The smoke was so bad, you just couldn't get in there," Darling said.
He and the other neighbors are grieving at the man's death, Darling said.
"It's just a sad, sad day," he said.
Contributing: Ben Lockhart, Nicole Vowell
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Changes to TRAX gates being made at 2 U....
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 28
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 19