Scott Winterton, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Firefighters found a man's body inside a burning home Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported about just after 1 p.m. at 3303 W. 4400 South. A residential alarm alerted fire crews as well as neighbors, who saw smoke coming from the structure, said West Valley Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald.
The structure was "well involved" when fire crews arrived, Fitzgerald said. The body of a man was found about 10 feet inside the front door.
The name of the man was not immediately released. His body was taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office to determine a cause of death.
Both West Valley firefighters and police will now investigate the incident. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire but not before it caused $75,000 in damage, according to the West Valley Fire Department.
Neighbor Don Darling said the man who died in the fire lived at the home with his father. Darling noticed the fire Wednesday afternoon, figured the man was inside and tried to save him, he said.
"I have 911 on the phone, and I'm telling them they need to get here, there's a person inside," Darling said.
He said he and another neighbor tried to get in the home but were unsuccessful.
"(We) couldn't go inside; there was no way. The smoke was so bad, you just couldn't get in there," Darling said.
He and the other neighbors are grieving at the man's death, Darling said.
"It's just a sad, sad day," he said.
Contributing: Ben Lockhart, Nicole Vowell
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah defends busting theater for serving...
- Lawyers for victim in teacher sex case...
- Polynesians refused service at Utah bar...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- National conservative group backs... 15