Ravell Call, Deseret News
MAGNA — A 5-year-old boy was run over and killed Monday by a family member who was backing out of the driveway.
Hunter Joseph Weiss, of Magna, died from injuries he sustained just after 8 a.m. at 8728 W. Redbud Court.
"This is just devastating — devastating for the family and the officers on scene," said Unified police detective Chuck Malm.
Hunter had just been dropped off at his grandparents' house when the accident happened. He was riding his bicycle when he was hit, Malm said.
"Parents had dropped the boy off for the grandparents to baby-sit. Grandpa was preparing to leave when the child was playing out front. He told the little boy to go inside to get his coat. Grandpa got his truck. He didn't see him, maybe assuming the child already went inside, and proceeded to back up over the child," Malm said.
The name of the 59-year-old grandfather was not released.
Hunter's uncle, Adam Prows, read a statement on behalf of the family Monday.
"Hunter was full of life and loved being outdoors. We are extremely grateful for our family and the bond that we share. We find comfort in our faith and knowledge that we will be together again," he said.
Serelle Taylor, one of Hunter's aunts, encouraged other families to always make their children wear helmets when riding bicycles or scooters.
A GoFundMe page titled "Missing You Hunter" was set up to help pay for funeral expenses.
"We have tragically lost Hunter. A sweet, happy, wonderful boy! You will be missed," family members wrote on the page.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 61
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17