Police: Intruder arrested in 'vicious' attack inside woman's bedroom
Adobe Stock photo
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police have arrested a man accused of trying to murder a woman inside her bedroom before she was able to escape by crawling out a window.
On Friday, the woman hosted a get-together with several people at her home near 3200 South and 4100 West.
Early Saturday, after most of the guests had left and the woman had retired to her bedroom, Caritino Armenta, 25, broke in and assaulted the woman, said West Valley Police Lt. Julie Jorgensen.
"He stabbed her several times," she said. "She was bleeding profusely. It was a vicious attack. We're fortunate she was able to survive."
The woman was stabbed multiple times in the neck, arm and chest.
When Armenta left the room, the woman escaped by crawling out of her bedroom window, Jorgensen said. She left a trail of blood from her bedroom window, to the sidewalk, to the two doors she knocked on before a neighbor answered and helped her.
West Valley police found Armenta at a residence in Midvale Saturday night and arrested him without further incident, Jorgensen said. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault. A motive for the attack was unknown.
The woman remained hospitalized Sunday with serious injuries, but police said the injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Don't know what's causing your infection? Ask...
- U. study shows how huge landslide shaped Zion...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 22
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8