High school girls basketball: Carbon defense suffocates Stansbury in 3A quarterfinals
CEDAR CITY — Carbon coach Ted Bianco was admittedly nervous about Thursday’s 3A quarterfinal game against Stansbury. The teams met in the same round last year, with Carbon eking out a two-point victory.
It only took Carbon’s players a couple of minutes to put Bianco’s mind at ease.
The Dinos jumped all over Stansbury in the first quarter, racing to a 19-point lead just eight minutes into the game as they rolled to a 64-34 victory.
“I was really pleased with our defensive effort, and that’s been our mojo the whole year so hopefully we can continue to do that throughout the tournament,” said Bianco.
Carbon’s scoring defense ranked first in 3A this season at 37.1 ppg, and Stansbury saw the full brunt of that defense at Southern Utah.
Carbon led 22-3 after the first quarter and then 32-12 at the half.
“It feels awesome. Our defense, I think that’s what won us the game. It feels good to come out and play together, and everybody did something tonight, it wasn’t just one individual,” said Carbon point guard Lindsay Blanc.
Morley controlled the paint and the glass at both ends of the floor.
“Our post player in the middle makes a huge difference for us,” said Bianco.
With the victory, the Dinos advance to Friday’s semifinal at 5:50 p.m. and will play the winner of Cedar-Juan Diego.
James Edward is the Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- High school girls track: Moses, Carr set pole...
- Extra efforts pay off in Sky View's...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0