Photo gallery: Layton Christian dominates Millard 82-56 in 2A boys basketball play-in round
OREM — Layton Christian punched its ticket to Richfield, dominating Millard 82-56 in the 2A State Tournament play-in round Saturday at Orem High School.
The Eagles of LCA showed why they went undefeated in region play. LCA’s fast pace, smothering defense and deep bench were the keys their victory. At the half, LCA led Millard 49-34.
The Millard Eagles made a run at the beginning of the third quarter to pull within 10 points but LCA stepped up the pressure and the speed of play to lead by 17 going into the fourth quarter.
The game was filled with outstanding plays from Layton Christian including Mark Burton’s eight 3-pointers, a one-step two-handed dunk by LCA big man Jigal Costa that drew thunderous cheers from the filled arena and defensive steals leading to numerous LCA fast breaks.
Burton led all scorers with 36 points while Christians Gutirrez added 14 for LCA. Millard was led by Sebastian Garcia tallying 13 points. Millard also received substantial contributions from Garrison Beckstrand with 12 points and Jesse Robison adding 11 points in the losing effort.
Layton Christian’s next contest will be the Region 16 No. 2 seed North Summit Braves, who downed Manti in round one. Quarterfinal action will be held Thursday at the Sevier Valley Center in Richfield.
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- BYU football receives commitment from Olympus...
- High school softball: 2A All-State Team
- High school softball: 4A All-State Team
- High school softball: 5A All-State Team
- High school softball: 3A All-State Team
- Ms. Softball: West junior Breah Ava leads the...
- Softball MVPs approached leadership different...
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- High school softball: A closer look at... 0
- High school softball: 2A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 4A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 5A All-State Team 0
- High school softball: 3A All-State Team 0
- Ms. Softball: West junior Breah Ava... 0
- Softball MVPs approached leadership... 0