Salt Lake man accused of beating 3-month-old puppy to death is bound over for trial
SALT LAKE CITY — A 19-year-old Salt Lake man accused of torturing his girlfriend's 3-month-old border collie for weeks, resulting in the dog's death, was bound over for trial last week.
A preliminary hearing was held Thursday for Mikah Johnson, who was charged in 3rd District Court. The charges for Johnson were amended last week. He now faces three counts of torture of a companion animal, a third-degree felony, and four counts of cruelty to animals, a class B misdemeanor.
During a one month period, between approximately July 13, 2015, until the day Moose was pronounced dead on Aug. 18, 2015, prosecutors believe Johnson beat the dog for extended periods of time, including for 45 minutes on July 20; sprayed Lysol in the dog's face; and beat Moose again for 30 minutes on Aug. 18.
A veterinarian determined Moose died of "severe pulmonary hemorrhage" from at least two episodes of blunt force trauma, charging documents state. The dog had a fractured jaw, missing teeth, a liver ruptured in two places, extensive bleeding in his lungs, extensive bruising between the eyes extending back toward his spine and severe eye injuries, according to police.
Johnson's next court date is scheduled for March 11.
— Pat Reavy
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21