BYU men's volleyball: No. 3 BYU heads to the East Coast for matches at Princeton, NJIT
No. 3 BYU men’s volleyball hits the road this week for matches at Princeton and NJIT. The Cougars will play in the Eastern Time Zone for the first time since the 2008 season.
Last time out
BYU (8-2, 6-2 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) swept No. 10 UC Santa Barbara twice during the weekend. Jake Langlois and Ben Patch had double-digit kills each night, while Brenden Sander collected a season-high 15 kills and career-high six blocks on Saturday.
Princeton (2-6, 2-0 Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association) takes on the Cougars on Friday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m. EST. The Tigers won their first two matches of the season, conference contests at Charleston, during the weekend. They have also fallen to two MPSF foes this year, at UCLA and at UC San Diego. Princeton was picked to finish third in the EIVA Preseason Poll, picked behind perennial powerhouse Penn State and George Mason – which BYU defeated in four sets at home earlier this year. The Tigers went 11-13, 6-6 (fourth) a year ago and finished in the semifinals of the EIVA tournament. The Cougars and Tigers have never squared off before in the history of the two schools.
NJIT (0-7, 0-0 EIVA) competes against BYU on Saturday, Feb. 13, at 7:30 p.m. EST. The Highlanders have played three MPSF opponents so far this year, falling in the UC Santa Barbara Asics Invitational to Cal Baptist, UC Santa Barbara and Cal State Northridge. NJIT was picked to finish fourth in the conference’s preseason poll, three votes behind Princeton. The Highlanders finished the 2015 season 11-13, 3-9 (seventh). This will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
Friday’s match at Princeton will be streamed on the Ivy League Digital Network. Video streaming information for the match at NJIT will be posted when it becomes available. Live stats for both matches can be found on the BYU men’s volleyball schedule page.
Royce Hinton is the men's and women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18