After dropping the doubles point for the first time this season, the BYU men's tennis team came back and beat Nevada at home, 5-1, on Saturday evening.
"This is the first time this season that we had some adversity," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "All credit to Nevada though, because they played well.They came out and played some solid doubles matches. But we bounced back for singles play. At the end of the day, we did what we needed to do to get the win."
BYU (5-0) went down early, losing the doubles point to Nevada (1-1). Shane Monroe and Keaton Cullimore lost the first doubles match for the Cougars to Nevada's Peter O'Donovan and Aaron Breust, 6-1. Andrey Goryachkov and Jeremy Bourgeois lost, 6-1, as well to the Wolfpack's Andrew Poustie and Robert Allan. John Pearce and Jacob Sullivan's match against Nevada's Ryan Andrada and Robert Margitfalvi was suspended at 5-3 in favor of Nevada.
The Cougars caught momentum in their singles matches. Sullivan took down Allan, 6-1, 6-4, earning the first point of the match for the Cougars. Goryachkov followed by beating the Wolfpack's Mile Cilic, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), and Monroe followed, defeating Andrada, 6-2, 7-5, to put the Cougars up, 3-1. Cullimore's hard-fought 7-5, 6-2 win over Poustie gave BYU its fourth point and the victory. Pearce defeated Margitfalvi, 0-6, 7-5 1-0 (10-3), as an added bonus for BYU.
BYU's next match is against Northern Arizona on Friday, Jan. 29, at 5:30 p.m. MST. Live stats for the match can be found on the BYU men's tennis schedule page.
Michelle Wood is a public relations student at Brigham Young University with a dream of making it to the Super Bowl one day. While she isn't studying for tests and classes, you can find her in the offices of BYU Athletics, working on media relations.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play for...
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts addiction by...
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 53
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 26
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8