Morning links: 'Houk Hug' remembered on National Hug Day; Gordon Hayward featured by GQ Magazine
Thursday was deemed "National Hug Day," and social media users recognized the day with photos of themselves embracing friends and loved ones.
The Sporting News Twitter account also noted the "holiday" by posting a photo with local connections.
Immediately after BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum found Mitch Mathews on a Hail Mary to beat Nebraska in the Cougars' season opener last fall, Mathews' fellow receiver Terenn Houk hugged the first person he could find, which wound up being a referee.
The "Houk Hug" went viral, and was brought back to the forefront on Thursday.
Gordon Hayward featured by GQ Magazine
While the Utah Jazz are in New York this week for games against the Knicks (an overtime loss on Wednesday) and Brooklyn Nets (Friday), GQ Magazine's Alex Wong interviewed Utah forward Gordon Hayward about a variety of topics.
Among the items of discussion were Hayward having a twin sister, his love of video games, his hair and the Jazz's season to this point.
The interview concluded with a question about in-arena marriage proposals.
"I’m not a fan of those," Hayward said. "It should be a moment between you and your significant other. But it would definitely put her on the spot and be hard for her to say no. If that’s your plan, then it’s pretty good."
Pac-12 Networks goes inside Runnin' Utes basketball
During halftime of the University of Utah men's basketball game Thursday against Washington State, the Pac-12 Networks aired a seven-minute video taking viewers inside the Runnin' Utes' program.
Footage of practice, players killing time and of Utah's loss to Oregon on Jan. 14 was accompanied by interviews with team members and head coach Larry Krystkowiak.
One particularly notable portion was of Krystkowiak discussing the impact of Delon Wright, now a rookie with the NBA's Toronto Raptors.
"I think our identity's different maybe without Delon," Krystkowiak said. "Great facilitator. That's why they chose him to go play at the next level. That's been the biggest challenge I think for our team. We don't have a Delon."
Ryan McDonald is a sports reporter at DeseretNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @ryanwmcdonald.
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 50
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12