Morning links: 'Houk Hug' remembered on National Hug Day; Gordon Hayward featured by GQ Magazine
Thursday was deemed "National Hug Day," and social media users recognized the day with photos of themselves embracing friends and loved ones.
The Sporting News Twitter account also noted the "holiday" by posting a photo with local connections.
Immediately after BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum found Mitch Mathews on a Hail Mary to beat Nebraska in the Cougars' season opener last fall, Mathews' fellow receiver Terenn Houk hugged the first person he could find, which wound up being a referee.
The "Houk Hug" went viral, and was brought back to the forefront on Thursday.
Gordon Hayward featured by GQ Magazine
While the Utah Jazz are in New York this week for games against the Knicks (an overtime loss on Wednesday) and Brooklyn Nets (Friday), GQ Magazine's Alex Wong interviewed Utah forward Gordon Hayward about a variety of topics.
Among the items of discussion were Hayward having a twin sister, his love of video games, his hair and the Jazz's season to this point.
The interview concluded with a question about in-arena marriage proposals.
"I’m not a fan of those," Hayward said. "It should be a moment between you and your significant other. But it would definitely put her on the spot and be hard for her to say no. If that’s your plan, then it’s pretty good."
Pac-12 Networks goes inside Runnin' Utes basketball
During halftime of the University of Utah men's basketball game Thursday against Washington State, the Pac-12 Networks aired a seven-minute video taking viewers inside the Runnin' Utes' program.
Footage of practice, players killing time and of Utah's loss to Oregon on Jan. 14 was accompanied by interviews with team members and head coach Larry Krystkowiak.
One particularly notable portion was of Krystkowiak discussing the impact of Delon Wright, now a rookie with the NBA's Toronto Raptors.
"I think our identity's different maybe without Delon," Krystkowiak said. "Great facilitator. That's why they chose him to go play at the next level. That's been the biggest challenge I think for our team. We don't have a Delon."
Ryan McDonald is a sports reporter at DeseretNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @ryanwmcdonald.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15