BYU swim: Cougars start strong in first day against Denver and Minnesota
Rainer Ng led BYU swim and dive in a big first day of action against Denver and Minnesota on Friday night at the El Pomar Natatorium in Denver, Colorado.
“Overall, I am pretty pleased with where our men’s team is at,” BYU head coach John Brooks said. “Our women’s team had a little bit of a rocky start but I’m hoping that they can fight back tomorrow and really batlle. We traveled today so hopefully we can be fresh for tomorrow and come out to compete.”
Highlights from the meet included Ng, who won the 200 butterfly. Jake Taylor took first in the 200 freestyle, and Payton Sorenson also earned a first-place finish in the 50 free. Alexandria Sorensen was a standout for the women’s team, taking sixth in a crowded 50 free event. For the divers, Kevin Dreesen earned a first-place finish on the 1-meter board, with Ali Tippetts-Kottcamp taking fourth in the 3-meter event.
Taylor raced to a 1:39.39 in the men’s 200 freestyle, good enough for first place in the event.
In the men’s 200 fly, Ng took first place, posting a finishing time of 1:51.28.
Sorenson sprinted to a 20.35 finish in the men’s 50 free, earning first for BYU in the event.
In the final event Friday, a BYU team of Taylor, Ng, Luis Ventura and Stirling earned third place in the men’s 800 free relay with a time of 6:48.82.
“Our divers really executed well for such a short warm up before the competition,” BYU head diving coach Tyce Routson said. “Our men’s team was able to take first through third against Denver, and our women’s team took first and second against them as well. We have been training more seriously for this quick warmup style of event, so we should do very well tomorrow.”
In the women’s 3-meter dive, Tippetts-Kottcamp was the top performer for BYU, diving to a 271.20.
Dreesen was the top diver on the men’s side, posting a 346.35 in the men’s 1-meter dive event.
The action continues Saturday at the El Pomar Natatorium, with diving set to start at 10:30 a.m. MST, and swimming to follow at noon. Full results will be posted at the conclusion of the meet on the BYU men’s and women’s schedule pages.
- Treasured venues: Attending a cross-country...
- BYU swimming: Taylor leads Cougar hopefuls at...
- BYU men's basketball hires Erick Schork as...
- Morning links: Jakob Poeltl in 'Braveheart'?;...
- Looking back at the top 10 NBA draft picks...
- BYU, Utah State football programs receive...
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 92
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 12
- BYU, Utah State football programs... 6
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with... 6
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 6
- Morning links: Jakob Poeltl in... 5
- BYU men's basketball hires Erick Schork... 3
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps... 3