Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel promoted to Green Bay Packers active roster
Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel could make his NFL debut in the playoffs.
The rookie was promoted from Green Bay's practice squad to the active roster on Friday, a move in conjunction with the team putting tight end Andrew Quarless on injured reserve.
The Packers play at Arizona on Saturday in an NFC divisional playoff matchup, after Green Bay beat Washington 35-18 in the wild-card round. The game will kick off at 6:15 p.m. MST at University of Phoenix Stadium and will be televised on NBC.
Daniel signed to the Packers' practice squad on Sept. 7 and has spent the season there with Green Bay. He signed with Oakland as an undrafted free agent in May and played in two preseason games for the Raiders, registering one tackle.
Daniel will wear No. 31 for Green Bay.
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound corner joined the BYU program in 2014 as a junior college transfer. During his two seasons with the Cougars, he played in 25 games and had 110 tackles, three interceptions, 23 pass breakups, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one sack.
Daniel is one of seven cornerbacks on the Packers' active roster, behind rookies Quentin Rollins and Damarious Randall, who both started vs. the Redskins, and fourth-year veteran Casey Hayward. The team's most veteran cornerback, Sam Shields, has not played since Week 14 after suffering a concussion and is questionable against Arizona.
Daniel will be face a BYU teammate this weekend. Former Cougar linebacker Alani Fua is a rookie with the Cardinals and, like Daniel, signed as an undrafted free agent.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 84
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 24
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 24
- Video: 100 days until college football... 21
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 10
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10