Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel promoted to Green Bay Packers active roster
Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel could make his NFL debut in the playoffs.
The rookie was promoted from Green Bay's practice squad to the active roster on Friday, a move in conjunction with the team putting tight end Andrew Quarless on injured reserve.
The Packers play at Arizona on Saturday in an NFC divisional playoff matchup, after Green Bay beat Washington 35-18 in the wild-card round. The game will kick off at 6:15 p.m. MST at University of Phoenix Stadium and will be televised on NBC.
Daniel signed to the Packers' practice squad on Sept. 7 and has spent the season there with Green Bay. He signed with Oakland as an undrafted free agent in May and played in two preseason games for the Raiders, registering one tackle.
Daniel will wear No. 31 for Green Bay.
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound corner joined the BYU program in 2014 as a junior college transfer. During his two seasons with the Cougars, he played in 25 games and had 110 tackles, three interceptions, 23 pass breakups, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one sack.
Daniel is one of seven cornerbacks on the Packers' active roster, behind rookies Quentin Rollins and Damarious Randall, who both started vs. the Redskins, and fourth-year veteran Casey Hayward. The team's most veteran cornerback, Sam Shields, has not played since Week 14 after suffering a concussion and is questionable against Arizona.
Daniel will be face a BYU teammate this weekend. Former Cougar linebacker Alani Fua is a rookie with the Cardinals and, like Daniel, signed as an undrafted free agent.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 76
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 28
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14