Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel promoted to Green Bay Packers active roster
Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel could make his NFL debut in the playoffs.
The rookie was promoted from Green Bay's practice squad to the active roster on Friday, a move in conjunction with the team putting tight end Andrew Quarless on injured reserve.
The Packers play at Arizona on Saturday in an NFC divisional playoff matchup, after Green Bay beat Washington 35-18 in the wild-card round. The game will kick off at 6:15 p.m. MST at University of Phoenix Stadium and will be televised on NBC.
Daniel signed to the Packers' practice squad on Sept. 7 and has spent the season there with Green Bay. He signed with Oakland as an undrafted free agent in May and played in two preseason games for the Raiders, registering one tackle.
Daniel will wear No. 31 for Green Bay.
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound corner joined the BYU program in 2014 as a junior college transfer. During his two seasons with the Cougars, he played in 25 games and had 110 tackles, three interceptions, 23 pass breakups, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one sack.
Daniel is one of seven cornerbacks on the Packers' active roster, behind rookies Quentin Rollins and Damarious Randall, who both started vs. the Redskins, and fourth-year veteran Casey Hayward. The team's most veteran cornerback, Sam Shields, has not played since Week 14 after suffering a concussion and is questionable against Arizona.
Daniel will be face a BYU teammate this weekend. Former Cougar linebacker Alani Fua is a rookie with the Cardinals and, like Daniel, signed as an undrafted free agent.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 102
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 11
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5