Dick Harmon: NCAA vote doesn't help BYU's designs on getting invite from Big 12
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
The folks that run college athletics could have nudged the Big 12 closer to expansion on Wednesday and put BYU closer to legitimate Power 5 inclusion, but they did not.
Does this shut the door on BYU's hopes to be invited to a Power 5 league? No, but it doesn’t help. This vote was the next big item on the national scene that could have ignited the Big 12 to expand. It does not mean Big 12 presidents will absolutely not decide to add other teams in the future, but it does means the status quo is likely.
The Division I Council voted to allow FBS conferences without 12 members to hold a conference championship game. This means the Big 12 does not have to grow to 12 teams to have that title game.
In my opinion, regardless of this vote, the Big 12 will continue to be criticized nationally for not risking as much as other Power 5 conferences in the race to get one of the four playoff spots. All other P5 conferences have expanded to or beyond 12 schools. This 10-team league will continue to receive more scrutiny by the CFP committee when it puts out its ranking due to its oddball status.
“It is too early to speculate on the impact this will have with our member institutions regarding a football championship game,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a released statement.
“I appreciate that what was acted upon today takes into account our unique 10-team, full round-robin scheduling model. However, this vote does not automatically mean the Big 12 will implement a football championship game. Our membership will continue to analyze its pros and cons as we now know the requirements, should we decide to go down that path.”
A conference championship game could bring the Big 12 between $25 to $30 million dollars. So far, Bowlsby and Big 12 presidents have avoided the event while other leagues have risked injury, exposed themselves to further scouting and general wear and tear by staging a title game.
One college football pundit, Pac-12 expert Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, tweeted: “Big 12 should just decide every Nov. 30 if it will hold title game, based on rankings at the time. Only takes 2-3 days to get set up.”
Oklahoma president David Boren told the OU Daily Wednesday the vote doesn't solve the league's issues. "The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least 12 members, we do not have a conference network and we do not have a championship game.
"I think all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference."
Bowlsby told reporters Wednesday, "We didn’t want to be forced into expansion. ... That doesn’t mean we won't keep a pretty close surveillance on the landscape."
What are factors that could move the Big 12 to expand now? It would have to be something big. BYU, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, UConn and Central Florida are all candidates most talked about as potential Big 12 members and they are anxiously waiting to see if that decision will ever come.
What are those factors?
• The CFP committee docks the Big 12 for being the smallest Power 5 league and playing weak out of conference schedules.
• ESPN and other P5 television partners continue to lose subscribers and revenue and major adjustments are forced on college football as expenses and salaries mushroom.
• The Big 12 is told by TV partners it needs to expand its inventory and geography.
• The level of competition gap between the big dogs of the Big 12 and its bottom dwellers increases.
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18