West Valley man sentenced to prison for raping woman in restaurant bathroom
SALT LAKE CITY — A West Valley man who admitted to following a woman into a restaurant bathroom and violently raping her has been sentenced to prison.
Justin Lloyd Martinez, 27, was sentenced Monday to at least five years and up to life in prison for rape, a first-degree felony. Martinez pleaded guilty to the charge as part of an agreement with prosecutors in November. In exchange, additional charges of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and driving under the influence, a class B misdemeanor, were dismissed.
It was after 3 a.m. on Oct. 27, 2013, when Martinez followed the woman into the bathroom at a West Valley Burger King, 5610 W. 3500 South, while her friends went to the drive-thru to order food. According to charging documents, Martinez waited for the woman outside a bathroom stall and grabbed her when she came out, punching her three times in the face when she attempted to push him away and dug her fingernails into his face.
The woman said Martinez threatened to beat her if she didn't stay quiet, slammed her head against the wall and stuck his fingers down her throat to keep her from screaming as he sexually assaulted her, charges state.
"I put up a pretty good fight for as long as I could," the woman told police.
The woman's friend became worried and entered the bathroom to look for her and could see her lying on the floor in a stall with another set of feet nearby, charges state. Martinez ran from the bathroom and was later arrested.
Martinez told police he had been drinking that night and went into the restaurant after crashing his truck nearby.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- SUV runs red light, knocks over ambulance...
- Father of Darrien Hunt opposes ex-wife's...
- Fugitive arrested after allegedly firing a...
- Warnings come true: Indicted FLDS leader Lyle...
- Dereck Harrison pleads not guilty in Davis...
- Utah welcomes His Holiness the 14th Dalai...
- SCOTUS ruling on Utah drug case could affect...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 73
- Preventing mass shootings? Utah... 67
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 42
- Chaffetz: I'm going to be 'kid in a... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 24
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 24
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21