Scott G Winterton
WEST JORDAN — An intoxicated West Jordan man was arrested Sunday after crashing into an electrical power box and then into a nearby home, knocking out power and severing a gas line, according to police.
About 2:15 a.m., a man identified as Alex Cushing, 27, drove his Pontiac GTO over a stop sign and into the power box at 4891 W. Banquet Avenue, according to West Jordan police officer Nelson Vargas.
Cushing didn't stop, but proceeded forward until he ran into a nearby home, causing "significant" damage to the property, Vargas said. The homeowners were inside the house during the crash, but no one, including the driver, was injured.
When officers arrived, they perceived a strong odor of alcohol from Cushing, who was taken into custody and put through a sobriety test. Police determined he was under the influence of alcohol during the crash, and he was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail, Vargas said.
The crash caused a power outage in the area, and Vargas said crews with Rocky Mountain Power were still working to restore power to residents Sunday afternoon. Crews also repaired a gas line that was damaged when Cushing drove into the house.
Vargas said Cushing doesn't appear to have any "significant" criminal history in Utah.
— Morgan Jacobsen
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: MorganEJacobsen
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17