CLEARFIELD — Davis County Health Department’s Family Health & Senior Services is organizing a letter-writing campaign to show gratitude to America’s deployed military members.
The campaign runs Jan. 10-18 in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service on Monday, Jan. 18.
“Individuals of all ages are asked to support our deployed military men and women by writing a few paragraphs expressing appreciation for their service in protecting our American way of life,” Viki Bowman, program manager of Davis County Retired & Senior Volunteer Program, said. “Just 10-15 minutes of your time can help bring joy and comfort to a U.S. service member stationed overseas.”
Letters will be distributed through Operation Gratitude, a national program that supports the U.S. military by sending out more than 1.3 million care packages throughout the world. Each package will contain letters of appreciation.
Campaign committee members are engaging schools, elected officials, service groups, businesses and individuals in hopes of breaking a 2014 record of 4,689 letters sent by Washington County through Senior Corps’ Corporation for National and Community Service.
“It should be easy to break Washington County’s record if the committee does its part to inform people of the campaign,” Bowman said. “Davis residents are very appreciative and aware of the sacrifices made by military members and their families. We’re home to Hill Air Force Base and support our troops.”
Deadline for letter submissions is noon on Tuesday, Jan. 19.
Letters may be dropped off at the county’s senior activity centers: Autumn Glow, 81 E. Center, Kaysville; Golden Years, 726 S. 100 East, Bountiful; and North Davis, 42 S. State, Clearfield. Letters may also be mailed to Davis RSVP, P.O. Box 618, Farmington, UT 84025. Call 801-525-5094 for letter guidelines, topic ideas or to make pickup arrangements.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7