HERRIMAN — A dog that fell into an icy pond was rescued Monday by a firefighter who went into the water to get the animal.
Just after 12:30 p.m., an owner was walking their dog near 14191 S. Spring Canyon Drive when the dog saw some ducks in a pond and chased after them, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Brian Anderton.
The pond was frozen for about the first 15 feet, but had not frozen over in the middle, he said. The dog jumped into the water, but then could not get out.
The dog's owner attempted to get the dog out by using a rope but did not walk onto the ice, Anderton said. After failing to get the dog out, 911 was called.
Fortunately, the nearest fire station also happened to have a water-rescue suit, Anderton said. When firefighters arrived, one of them put on the suit, laid a ladder out onto the ice, and then got into the water with the dog and helped it out. The dog was only in the water for about 15 minutes, he said.
Fire crews did not immediately know the breed of the medium-sized dog, who was not injured.
Anderton said there are several ponds in his department's jurisdiction, particularly in Herriman. He cautioned all residents to be aware of their surroundings when they're out walking dogs or with their children. A person, he said, would not have lasted 15 minutes in the water as the dog did.
A video of the rescue was posted on the Unified Fire Authority's Facebook page.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8