HERRIMAN — A dog that fell into an icy pond was rescued Monday by a firefighter who went into the water to get the animal.
Just after 12:30 p.m., an owner was walking their dog near 14191 S. Spring Canyon Drive when the dog saw some ducks in a pond and chased after them, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Brian Anderton.
The pond was frozen for about the first 15 feet, but had not frozen over in the middle, he said. The dog jumped into the water, but then could not get out.
The dog's owner attempted to get the dog out by using a rope but did not walk onto the ice, Anderton said. After failing to get the dog out, 911 was called.
Fortunately, the nearest fire station also happened to have a water-rescue suit, Anderton said. When firefighters arrived, one of them put on the suit, laid a ladder out onto the ice, and then got into the water with the dog and helped it out. The dog was only in the water for about 15 minutes, he said.
Fire crews did not immediately know the breed of the medium-sized dog, who was not injured.
Anderton said there are several ponds in his department's jurisdiction, particularly in Herriman. He cautioned all residents to be aware of their surroundings when they're out walking dogs or with their children. A person, he said, would not have lasted 15 minutes in the water as the dog did.
A video of the rescue was posted on the Unified Fire Authority's Facebook page.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29