States, business, advocacy group ask Supreme Court to hear gay marriage case
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gay rights groups, states and businesses urged the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday take up a same-sex marriage case to bring a national resolution to the issue.
Three friend of the court briefs were filed with the court representing 15 states in which same-sex marriage is legal, 30 businesses and groups including Freedom to Marry, and Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. Businesses joining the briefs include General Electric, Pfizer, Oracle, Nike, Alcoa, Staples, Target and Amazon.
The briefs were filed in support of the petitions for review by Utah, Oklahoma and Virginia, but do not support the same-sex marriage bans in those states.
"Today America’s businesses and families, diverse states and loving couples have come before the Supreme Court to make clear that every day until the court acts is a day of injustice, indignity, and injury that harms real people and disserves our nation, and that it is time to end marriage discrimination in the United States," said Evan Wolfson, Freedom to Marry president.
Utah argued in a petition last month that Kitchen v. Herbert is the ideal case for the Supreme Court to decide the same-sex marriage question. The three couples challenging the state's gay marriage ban asked the court last month to accept Utah's request to hear the case.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: dennisromboy
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10