States, business, advocacy group ask Supreme Court to hear gay marriage case
Matt Gade, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gay rights groups, states and businesses urged the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday take up a same-sex marriage case to bring a national resolution to the issue.
Three friend of the court briefs were filed with the court representing 15 states in which same-sex marriage is legal, 30 businesses and groups including Freedom to Marry, and Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. Businesses joining the briefs include General Electric, Pfizer, Oracle, Nike, Alcoa, Staples, Target and Amazon.
The briefs were filed in support of the petitions for review by Utah, Oklahoma and Virginia, but do not support the same-sex marriage bans in those states.
"Today America’s businesses and families, diverse states and loving couples have come before the Supreme Court to make clear that every day until the court acts is a day of injustice, indignity, and injury that harms real people and disserves our nation, and that it is time to end marriage discrimination in the United States," said Evan Wolfson, Freedom to Marry president.
Utah argued in a petition last month that Kitchen v. Herbert is the ideal case for the Supreme Court to decide the same-sex marriage question. The three couples challenging the state's gay marriage ban asked the court last month to accept Utah's request to hear the case.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: dennisromboy
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 59
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 42
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 16
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12