SALT LAKE CITY — Wilf Sommerkorn has been selected as the new Salt Lake County regional planning and transportation director.
“Wilf’s job is to think regionally about community planning and transportation as we plan the future we choose for families living in Salt Lake County,” said County Mayor Ben McAdams. “He will work with local and state governments and community groups, acting as Salt Lake County’s advocate for smart planning choices that affect our entire region.”
Sommerkorn will work under Director Carlton Christensen in the Office of Regional Development.
“The work we do in Regional Development is instrumental to the long-term planning for the Salt Lake Valley. Wilf is the perfect person for the job to look directly at planning and transportation from a global perspective, to accomplish shared goals that will create a better tomorrow for our community at-large,” Christensen said.
Most recently, Sommerkorn worked as Salt Lake City’s planning director, and he worked at Davis County for over 20 years as their economic and planning director.
“I’m excited to begin this new stage of my career,” said Sommerkorn. “I have seen our population grow and I know that growth offers both challenge and opportunity. I look forward to bringing my past experience to table as we think strategically about planning for the next 30 years, and beyond.”
Sommerkorn’s experience also includes work with the local planning organization Wasatch Front Regional Council. He has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Utah and a master’s degree from the University of Tennessee.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- 10-year-old honored for saving little brother
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 84
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 25
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16