Westminster soccer: Griffins open home slate with two games this weekend
The Westminster women’s soccer team plays at home for the first time this season when it plays host to the Westminster Fall Classic this weekend. Four games will be played at Dumke Field over three days with the Griffins playing in two of those contests.
Westminster’s first home game comes on Saturday at noon, when it hosts Eastern Oregon from the Cascade Collegiate Conference. The Griffins then close the weekend on Sunday with a noon contest against another Cascade foe in College of Idaho.
The other games on the schedule feature Arizona Christian against Eastern Oregon on Friday and ACU against College of Idaho on Saturday.
All four games of the Fall Classic will be streamed live on Griffins TV. There will also be live stats available for all four games of the weekend.
Westminster comes home after opening the season with a 3-0 record during the season’s first two weeks. Last week, the Griffins claimed a 1-0 win at SCAD Savannah and then defeated South Carolina Beaufort, 3-0.
The Griffins enter the weekend averaging 1.67 goals per game and attempting 12 shots per game. They have put 36.1 percent of their shot attempts on goal and are scoring on 38.5 percent of their shots on goal. Westminster has recorded one assist and taken 15 corner kicks.
Defensively, the Griffins haven’t allowed a goal on the year and are allowing just seven shots per game. They held USCB without a shot in the entire game. The opposition has put eight of their shots on goal for a 38.1 SOG percentage.
Abby Holbrook leads the team with two goals — both game-winners — and she has scored on both of her shot attempts. Jessica James, Rylei North and Lexi Tucker have scored the team’s other three goals this season. Tucker leads all Griffins with nine shots and three shots on goal. Miranda Olsen has notched the team’s only assist this season.
Abi Yanke has played all 270 minutes in goal without allowing a goal. The junior has made seven saves in recording three shutout victories.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35