Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Another round of layoffs has been announced at defense contractor L-3 Communications.
L-3 Communication Systems-West Thursday announced that the company would eliminate approximately 54 positions from its Utah workforce, with reductions primarily affecting hourly and salaried employees within the engineering segment of the business.
"This difficult decision was made in order to align our employee levels with business demand for 2014 and 2015 and reflects the effects of the challenging defense budget environment," the company said in a prepared statement. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
L-3 currently employs an estimated 3,300 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- How can Google snap its stock out of its stupor?
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Germany: Talk of axing Greek debt 'divorced...
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re... 1