Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Another round of layoffs has been announced at defense contractor L-3 Communications.
L-3 Communication Systems-West Thursday announced that the company would eliminate approximately 54 positions from its Utah workforce, with reductions primarily affecting hourly and salaried employees within the engineering segment of the business.
"This difficult decision was made in order to align our employee levels with business demand for 2014 and 2015 and reflects the effects of the challenging defense budget environment," the company said in a prepared statement. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
L-3 currently employs an estimated 3,300 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Why college matters more today than 20 years ago
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Don't be surprised if you find your boss...
- Kids learn the ABCs of managing money
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Michelle Singletary: Credit can be... 3