Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Another round of layoffs has been announced at defense contractor L-3 Communications.
L-3 Communication Systems-West Thursday announced that the company would eliminate approximately 54 positions from its Utah workforce, with reductions primarily affecting hourly and salaried employees within the engineering segment of the business.
"This difficult decision was made in order to align our employee levels with business demand for 2014 and 2015 and reflects the effects of the challenging defense budget environment," the company said in a prepared statement. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
L-3 currently employs an estimated 3,300 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 43
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- How much America wants to be taxed 7
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4