Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Another round of layoffs has been announced at defense contractor L-3 Communications.
L-3 Communication Systems-West Thursday announced that the company would eliminate approximately 54 positions from its Utah workforce, with reductions primarily affecting hourly and salaried employees within the engineering segment of the business.
"This difficult decision was made in order to align our employee levels with business demand for 2014 and 2015 and reflects the effects of the challenging defense budget environment," the company said in a prepared statement. "We remain committed to the Salt Lake City community and to our business here, which is strategically important to L-3."
All affected employees will receive severance packages and outplacement assistance. Since July 2013, the company has cut approximately 400 jobs over various business segments.
L-3 currently employs an estimated 3,300 people in Salt Lake City.
— Jasen Lee
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Can a company really be altruistic?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 18
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Balancing act: Son's comment teaches a... 1
- Why college matters more today than 20... 1
- Can a company really be altruistic? 1