Westminster soccer: Griffin men hit the road for three games
The Westminster men’s soccer team takes to the road for the first time this season when it travels to California this weekend to play three games. The Griffins have started the season by going 5-0-1 at home over the season’s first two weeks.
The road trip opens Friday with a neutral site game against Westmont at 5:30 p.m. MT at The Master’s Tournament. On Saturday, the Griffins face The Master’s for the second time this season in a 5 p.m. contest. They close the trip Saturday with a game at Soka at 2 p.m.
The Griffins' 5-0-1 start is the team’s best six-game opening since posting that same record to open the 1993 campaign. They extended their fast start by picking up wins over Dakota Wesleyan and College of Idaho at home last weekend.
Westminster has controlled possession throughout most of the six games it has played this season and is currently averaging 2.0 goals per game. Those goals are coming on 14.5 shots per game with 43.7 percent of those attempts on goal. The Griffins have also assisted on 11 of those 12 goals with the only non-assisted goal being an own goal against College of Idaho.
At the defensive end of the field, Westminster is giving up 9.5 shots per game but has only allowed one goal all season. The team is allowing 0.17 goals per game with a 0.16 goals-against-average. The opposition hasn’t scored in the past five games, a span of 549 minutes.
Michael Porter leads the team with three goals on the season, scoring all three in the season opening win over Carroll. Andrew Clayton and Connor Thompson have each scored two goals with four others notching one goal on the season. Clayton has added a team-best five assists to lead the team with nine points. Thompson has three assists for five points.
Three different Griffins have appeared in goal this season with Logan Butzier leading the team with seven saves. Butzier has three wins and two shutouts. Sean Lyne hasn’t allowed a goal in two starts with one win and one shutout, and he's made six saves.
- BYU football: Suspensions impacting both BYU...
- Cougars in the pros: Lasike scores first pro...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU at Nebraska football: How to watch and...
- Hill-led BYU offense looking for strong...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Sept. 4
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to win...
- Brad Rock: Utes to Harbaugh: Update your...
- Utah football: Utes outlast Michigan to... 114
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 80
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 74
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 44
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Brad Rock: Take expletives, not... 36
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 30