Inside the Numbers: Chuckie Keeton versus the Power 5 conferences
Amy Smotherman Burgess, AP
Despite ending last season to knee surgery, Chuckie Keeton began his senior year with Heisman hype.
One week into the 2014 college football season, and the #Chuckie4Heisman campaign is a little off track.
In the season opener against the University of Tennessee, the Utah State senior signal caller and the Aggie offense didn’t get going.
Heading into halftime, the Aggies were down 17-0 and hadn’t sniffed putting any points on the board. Only by early in the third quarter did Utah State enter into Tennessee territory.
Despite the Vols losing every starter along its defensive line, Keeton went 18 of 35 for 144 yards passing Sunday. These represent career lows for Keeton in both completion percentage and total yards.
Yet that maybe the lack of effectiveness of his surgically repaired ACL and MCL where Keeton least looked like the Chuckie who still might haunt Auburn and University of Utah defensive players of days past.
Delving into the numbers, if Keeton’s knee really isn’t a physical or psychological hurdle for his mobility, the Tennessee game looks like an outlier.
“There were some balls I know he wishes he had back,” said Aggie head coach Matt Wells. “He’ll play better.”
Keeton and his Utah State teammates get their next chance against Idaho State (0-1) at 6 p.m. Saturday on their home turf.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 45
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36