Inside the Numbers: Chuckie Keeton versus the Power 5 conferences
Amy Smotherman Burgess, AP
Despite ending last season to knee surgery, Chuckie Keeton began his senior year with Heisman hype.
One week into the 2014 college football season, and the #Chuckie4Heisman campaign is a little off track.
In the season opener against the University of Tennessee, the Utah State senior signal caller and the Aggie offense didn’t get going.
Heading into halftime, the Aggies were down 17-0 and hadn’t sniffed putting any points on the board. Only by early in the third quarter did Utah State enter into Tennessee territory.
Despite the Vols losing every starter along its defensive line, Keeton went 18 of 35 for 144 yards passing Sunday. These represent career lows for Keeton in both completion percentage and total yards.
Yet that maybe the lack of effectiveness of his surgically repaired ACL and MCL where Keeton least looked like the Chuckie who still might haunt Auburn and University of Utah defensive players of days past.
Delving into the numbers, if Keeton’s knee really isn’t a physical or psychological hurdle for his mobility, the Tennessee game looks like an outlier.
“There were some balls I know he wishes he had back,” said Aggie head coach Matt Wells. “He’ll play better.”
Keeton and his Utah State teammates get their next chance against Idaho State (0-1) at 6 p.m. Saturday on their home turf.
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- Morning links: Former BYU DB Robertson Daniel...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon... 26
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25