Tom Smart, Deseret News
PARK CITY — A ruling on the bond amount to be paid by Park City Mountain Resort to its landlord was postponed until Friday, Sept. 5.
Third District Judge Ryan Harris granted a request for an extension, which was made in a joint letter by representatives of Park City Mountain Resort and Talisker Land Holdings, which owns roughly 3,000 acres of mountain ski terrain where the resort operates.
The two parties have been involved in a lengthy dispute after Park City Mountain Resort failed to renew its lease of the Talisker land. The resort was served with an eviction notice last year, which was upheld by Harris but stayed to allow for mediation between the two parties as the issue is decided on appeal.
On Friday, Harris is expected to rule on a bond amount that will allow the resort to continue operations through the upcoming ski season.
During a hearing last week, Park City Mountain Resort argued that because it owns the resort base, the isolated mountain property is worth between $1 million and $6 million for a one-year lease.
But attorneys for Talisker argued that Vail — which operates the nearby Talisker-owned Canyons Resort — is currently paying roughly $11 million each year for conditional ownership of the disputed Park City Mountain Resort property.
Because the Talisker land is at its greatest value when combined with the Park City Mountain Resort base operations, Talisker argued, the resort's owner is likely willing to pay more for the property than any other interested lessee.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- How you can be trained to recognize signs of...
- Charges: Group of 3 held man and woman...
- Zion National Park to hold public meetings on...
- National Guard trains in Denver to respond to...
- Utah defends busting theater for serving...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- National conservative group backs... 14