This extant home in Nauvoo originally belonged to Joseph B. and Mary Noble, associates of the Prophet Joseph Smith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Comment on this story
The Noble family lived in the home from 1843-1846. It is located at the intersection of Hyde and Kimball streets. Joseph B. Noble built a carriage house and other outbuildings on the property. He served as justice of the peace in Nauvoo.
In 1846, the home was deeded to Lucy Mack Smith, mother of the prophet, so she could have a place to live. After staying there for several months, Mother Smith chose to stay closer to family members because of her advancing age and health considerations. She spent the rest of her life in Nauvoo, passing away in the summer of 1856. She is buried close to her husband in the Smith Family Cemetery in Nauvoo.