SALT LAKE CITY — Hunters and trappers will have a chance to take more bobcats in Utah this fall.
Members of the Utah Wildlife Board recently approved a recommendation to allow an individual hunter or trapper to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
Also, the total number of permits was capped at 4,600. This season, the permit cap has been lifted.
Board members also approved cougar hunting rules at the meeting. The rules that were approved should result in hunters taking about the same number of cougars this season as were taken in Utah last season, when they took 330 cougars.
All bobcat and cougar hunting rules the board approved will be available in two free guidebooks, which should be available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks by Sept. 15.
Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, says bobcat populations are growing in Utah. She said Utah's bobcat management plan provides biologists with four population performance targets. How close bobcats come to meeting the targets helps biologists determine the health of the state's bobcat population.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov.
Utah's bobcat season runs from Nov. 19 to Feb. 15. Permits will be on sale Oct. 1-20.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15