SALT LAKE CITY — Hunters and trappers will have a chance to take more bobcats in Utah this fall.
Members of the Utah Wildlife Board recently approved a recommendation to allow an individual hunter or trapper to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
Also, the total number of permits was capped at 4,600. This season, the permit cap has been lifted.
Board members also approved cougar hunting rules at the meeting. The rules that were approved should result in hunters taking about the same number of cougars this season as were taken in Utah last season, when they took 330 cougars.
All bobcat and cougar hunting rules the board approved will be available in two free guidebooks, which should be available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks by Sept. 15.
Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, says bobcat populations are growing in Utah. She said Utah's bobcat management plan provides biologists with four population performance targets. How close bobcats come to meeting the targets helps biologists determine the health of the state's bobcat population.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov.
Utah's bobcat season runs from Nov. 19 to Feb. 15. Permits will be on sale Oct. 1-20.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9