SALT LAKE CITY — Hunters and trappers will have a chance to take more bobcats in Utah this fall.
Members of the Utah Wildlife Board recently approved a recommendation to allow an individual hunter or trapper to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
Also, the total number of permits was capped at 4,600. This season, the permit cap has been lifted.
Board members also approved cougar hunting rules at the meeting. The rules that were approved should result in hunters taking about the same number of cougars this season as were taken in Utah last season, when they took 330 cougars.
All bobcat and cougar hunting rules the board approved will be available in two free guidebooks, which should be available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks by Sept. 15.
Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, says bobcat populations are growing in Utah. She said Utah's bobcat management plan provides biologists with four population performance targets. How close bobcats come to meeting the targets helps biologists determine the health of the state's bobcat population.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov.
Utah's bobcat season runs from Nov. 19 to Feb. 15. Permits will be on sale Oct. 1-20.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 58
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 55
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15