SALT LAKE CITY — Hunters and trappers will have a chance to take more bobcats in Utah this fall.
Members of the Utah Wildlife Board recently approved a recommendation to allow an individual hunter or trapper to obtain up to six bobcat permits. During the 2013-14 season, each trapper or hunter could not obtain more than three bobcat permits.
Also, the total number of permits was capped at 4,600. This season, the permit cap has been lifted.
Board members also approved cougar hunting rules at the meeting. The rules that were approved should result in hunters taking about the same number of cougars this season as were taken in Utah last season, when they took 330 cougars.
All bobcat and cougar hunting rules the board approved will be available in two free guidebooks, which should be available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks by Sept. 15.
Leslie McFarlane, mammals coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, says bobcat populations are growing in Utah. She said Utah's bobcat management plan provides biologists with four population performance targets. How close bobcats come to meeting the targets helps biologists determine the health of the state's bobcat population.
The bobcat management plan, including the performance targets the plan outlines, is available at wildlife.utah.gov.
Utah's bobcat season runs from Nov. 19 to Feb. 15. Permits will be on sale Oct. 1-20.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14