Alex Cabrero, Deseret News
MANILA, Daggett County — Divers continued searching at Flaming Gorge Reservoir Tuesday for a Riverton man who disappeared when his boat capsized Monday.
Charles Darrell Thomas, 69, and his girlfriend, 62, were in a small motorized boat Monday afternoon when it capsized. The woman was able to swim to shore with the help of a seat cushion she used as a flotation device. She then walked up a hill into a nearby camp to get help, said Daggett County sheriff's spokeswoman Susie Potter.
Wind gusts at the time made the water choppy and the conditions difficult, she said. Some debris washed up on the shore during the day but no other signs of Thomas were found.
Divers from the Uintah County Sheriff's Office and the Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office in Wyoming as well as the Utah Department of Public Safety were assisting with the search.
Crews were expected to continue searching until after dark and resume their efforts Wednesday morning, Potter said.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photos: Fun for all at the 10th annual Family...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13