BYU volleyball: No. 10 women’s volleyball hosts BYU Invitational
After winning the Gold and Blue Player’s Challenge last weekend, No. 10 BYU women’s volleyball returns to its home court Friday and Saturday to host the BYU Invitational.
The Cougars swept host West Virginia, IUPUI and Toledo to take the title. This week BYU faces off against No. 5 Washington, University of Maryland, Baltimore County and Utah Valley.
No. 5 Washington
BYU’s first match is against No. 5 Washington on Friday at 7 p.m. MDT. The Cougars are 12-0 against the Huskies having last won a five-set thriller in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2007. The Huskies return six starters to this year’s squad, which is off to a 3-0 start on the early season. In 2013, Washington advanced to the semifinals of the NCAA tournament before falling to eventual champion Penn State. The Huskies finished the season with a 32-3 overall record, including going 18-2 in conference play to win the Pac-12.
The Cougars next face off against UMBC on Saturday at noon. The Retrievers are currently 4-0 after taking the Hawks Holiday Hullabaloo Tournament in Maryland. BYU has never played against UMBC in its history. The Retrievers return four starters from a team that went 19-12 and 9-5 in the America East Conference a year ago.
To conclude the BYU Invitational, the Cougars go up against in-state rival Utah Valley on Saturday at 7 p.m. The Wolverines are 0-3 on the season with a fourth match scheduled for Tuesday afternoon against Wyoming. BYU holds an undefeated 11-0 record against Utah Valley, including a 3-1 victory in Orem, Utah, last season. The Wolverines return four starters and their libero to this year’s team after going 18-15 (11-5 WAC) last year.
BYU’s matches against Washington and UMBC will be televised live on BYUtv. The Saturday nightcap match against Utah Valley will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Links to live stats for all the tournament’s matches can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
Royce Hinton is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- Free agent roundup: 14 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September schedule:...
- Salt Lake residents may find it difficult to...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Utes have three players taken on the second...
- Ranking the 33 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- BYU seeking its 4th straight rugby national...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 158
- Dick Harmon: Utes clearly lead local... 80
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 75
- Yeomans: What does Jimmer Fredette need... 54
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 52
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 38
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 31