UVU golf: Wolverine men in fifth after two rounds at Battle in the Tetons
After two rounds of play at the Battle in the Tetons on Monday, the Utah Valley University men's golf team finds itself in fifth place at 12-over-par (588). The opening-season tournament is being contested at the Headwaters Golf Club in Victor, Idaho.
Senior Michael Dart, who is playing the two-day, 54-hole tournament as an individual, is leading the way for UVU as he sits in fifth place after 36 holes of play at 1-under-par. Dart lies at 1-under after carding a 2-under 70 during Monday's opening round and a 1-over 73 in round two (143). The Wolverine senior sits just six shots back of the tournament leader — Southern Utah's Fidel Concepcion — who leads the field at 7-under-par.
Sophomore JT Timmons and true freshman Blair Bursey are the top team scorers for the Wolverines as they are just one shot back of Dart at even par. The UVU duo is tied for 11th place after each carded a 71 during round one and a 73 during round two (144). Fellow freshman Ariel Elftman-Hanson, who is playing his first collegiate tournament as an individual, also had a strong opening day by recording a couple of 74s (148) to sit a 4-over-par.
Junior Brayden Eriksen and senior Preston Richards are next for UVU as they find themselves in 26th and 27th, respectively. Eriksen is in 26th place after shooting 6-over-par on the day (78-72—150), while Richards is one spot behind him at 7-over (76-75—151). Junior Clark Fredrickson rounds out the Wolverines' top five in 33rd place at 10-over (77-77—154).
As a team, UVU finds itself just three shots back of the host Weber State Wildcats (585) for fourth place. Utah State leads the tournament with a 570, while Southern Utah is in second (571) and Wyoming sits in third (575). Westminster rounds out the field with a 596. Last season, the Cowboys won the tournament and the Wolverines finished second.
Just one more round of 18 awaits the competition at the 2014 Battle in the Tetons, as the tournament concludes Tuesday. The final round gets underway at 8 a.m.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0