Search continues for man from Micronesia missing in Utah since Sunday
ROCKPORT, Summit County — The search for a man new to the United States who walked away from a campsite Sunday continued Tuesday.
Friends identified Halden Efren, 20, of Micronesia, in surveillance video from a Salt Lake area convenience store taken about three hours after he disappeared Sunday, according to an update from police Tuesday. Efren was camping in Rockport State Park when he reportedly left after an argument with a female companion.
Efren has been in the United States for a month and does not know the area well. Before Sunday, he had been staying with relatives in Salt Lake.
About 20 Summit County search and rescue workers and Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter looked for the man Sunday. The search reached Wyoming on Monday after a search and rescue worker believed they spotted someone who resembled Efren on I-80, heading toward Evanston, said Summit County Sheriff's Sgt. Brad Wilde. By the time the worker received a full description, he was no longer certain it was Efren.
Deputies distributed fliers near Evanston Monday evening to help locate the man.
The Summit County Sheriff's Office took over the investigation Tuesday.
"It appears at this point that Mr. Efren does not want to be contacted," Wilde said. "He hasn't come forward. I don't know if that's because he doesn't speak English or if he just doesn't want to be found."
Efren is described as 5 feet 5 inches tall, 170 pounds with brown eyes and short brown hair. He was last seen wearing a red T-shirt, gray shorts, sandals and a Chicago Bulls baseball cap. He was also carrying a backpack.
Anyone who has seen Efren or may have picked him up is asked to contact the sheriff's office at 435-615-3500 or 435-615-3520.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 65
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18