Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in Flaming Gorge
Alex Cabrero, Deseret News
MANILA, Daggett County — Divers planned to resume searching Tuesday morning for a man who went missing in Flaming Gorge Reservoir when his boat capsized.
A man and woman were in a small 12-foot boat with an electric motor. They were traveling from the Antelope Flats area headed toward Lucerne Marina on the reservoir when the boat capsized, said Daggett County sheriff's spokeswoman Susie Potter.
"At the time of the incident, there were reported wind gusts on the reservoir with choppy water, making conditions difficult," she said in a prepared statement.
The woman, 62, was able to swim to shore using a flotation device. "She was in the water for some time," Potter said.
The man, 69, disappeared.
The woman notified sheriff's officials of the incident about 4 p.m. The Uintah County search and rescue dive team responded to help locate the man, but were unsuccessful. The Utah Department of Public Safety dive team planned to assist in the search Tuesday morning, as well as crews from Utah State Parks, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and Sweetwater County search and rescue from Wyoming.
The names of the man and woman were not released Monday, nor was information about their relationship. Investigators would only say they're from Utah, but not from the local area.
— Brian West
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- New SLCC president hopes to bring 'positive...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with Tooele...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 132
- Rally in support of police also draws... 42
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson,... 12
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7