Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in Flaming Gorge
Alex Cabrero, Deseret News
MANILA, Daggett County — Divers planned to resume searching Tuesday morning for a man who went missing in Flaming Gorge Reservoir when his boat capsized.
A man and woman were in a small 12-foot boat with an electric motor. They were traveling from the Antelope Flats area headed toward Lucerne Marina on the reservoir when the boat capsized, said Daggett County sheriff's spokeswoman Susie Potter.
"At the time of the incident, there were reported wind gusts on the reservoir with choppy water, making conditions difficult," she said in a prepared statement.
The woman, 62, was able to swim to shore using a flotation device. "She was in the water for some time," Potter said.
The man, 69, disappeared.
The woman notified sheriff's officials of the incident about 4 p.m. The Uintah County search and rescue dive team responded to help locate the man, but were unsuccessful. The Utah Department of Public Safety dive team planned to assist in the search Tuesday morning, as well as crews from Utah State Parks, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and Sweetwater County search and rescue from Wyoming.
The names of the man and woman were not released Monday, nor was information about their relationship. Investigators would only say they're from Utah, but not from the local area.
— Brian West
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- Fire rips through Draper garage during...
- Three Salt Lake City golf courses slated for...
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- Emergency preparedness deals for the...
- Woman, young boys ordered under blanket in...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 22
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15