14-year-old boy placed in detention after early morning single-car rollover accident near Copperton
COPPERTON — Three boys ages 14, 12 and 11 were involved in a single-vehicle rollover accident shortly before 4 a.m. Sunday at approximately 10200 S. 8400 West, according to Unified Police Department reports.
The 14-year-old was treated for his injuries and placed in the Salt Lake County juvenile detention center, UPD detective Ken Hansen said Sunday.
Hansen said police received an initial report of three juveniles running away from a rollover accident just outside of Copperton.
The condition of the vehicle indicated that occupants of the car may have received signficant injuries, he said.
"A short time later, they were located by South Jordan Police. The fire department responded. We had them checked out and we had them transported to the hospital," Hansen said.
The conditions of the 11- and 12-year-olds were not immediately available. The two were released to their parents, a UPD report said.
"Because of the ages involved, I'm pretty confident they didn't have permission to use the car," Hansen said.
Hansen said police were working to piece together more specific information about the accident such as how the boys obtained the vehicle and how far they drove it before the accident occurred.
"It's obvious these individuals didn't have a lot of experience driving and lost control of the vehicle," Hansen said.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
CONTRIBUTING: Simone Seikaly, KSL Radio
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 88
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 33
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 21