UVU cross-country: Wolverines open season strong at USU Invite
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
The Utah Valley University cross-country teams opened the season with strong showings on Saturday as the women took second and the men finished third at the USU Invitational in Logan.
Individually, unattached junior Jason Lynch led the way as he won the men's 4-mile race with a blazing time of 20:42.21.
The Wolverine women's squad earned the second-place finish by tallying 45 points. Wyoming won both races, with 16 points on the women's side and 23 on the men's. The UVU men's squad placed third with 53 points, as it finished just nine points back of the second-place Utah State Aggies (44).
Leading the way for UVU's women was junior Darian Sharp. The 2013 All-WAC performer placed fifth overall with a time of 19:34.38 in the women's 5K race. True freshman McKayla Morgan was next for the Wolverines as she placed seventh with a time of 19:42.99, and senior captain Ivie Gonsalves was right behind her as she posted an eighth-place finish (19:43.54). Sophomore transfer Jasmine Nesbitt and junior McKenzie Snyder rounded out UVU's top five as they took 11th (20:01.12) and 14th (20:08.34), respectively.
On the men's side, redshirt freshman Tyson Lambert was the team's top finisher, as he took eighth with a time of 21:17.83 in the 4-mile race. Juniors Seth Gutzwiller and Chris Brower, as well as sophomores Logan Petty and Rush Mills, were next as they placed 11th (21:40.21), 12th (21:43.41), 13th (21:47.71) and 14th (21:52.39), respectively.
The opening-season meet was contested at the Aggie Cross-County Course in Logan.
The Wolverines now take a week off to prepare for their next meet — the UC Riverside Invitational — that will be held in Riverside, California, on Sept. 13.
Men's team results
1. Wyoming — 23
2. Utah State — 44
3. Utah Valley — 53
4. Unattached Utah State — 119
5. Westminster — 141
UVU's individual men's results
8. Tyson Lambert 21:18
11. Seth Gutzwiller 21:41
12. Chris Brower 21:44
13. Logan Petty 21:48
14. Rush Mills 21:53
(21). Brenden Emery 22:27
(23). Jaydn Asay 22:41
Women's team results
1. Wyoming — 16
2. Utah Valley — 45
3. Utah State — 64
4. Westminster — 120
UVU's individual women's results
5. Darian Sharp 19:35
7. McKayla Morgan 19:43
8. Ivie Gonsalves 19:44
11. Jasmine Nesbitt 20:02
14. McKenzie Snyder 20:09
(15). Makayla Stepp 20:10
(23). Savannah Berry 20:40
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 17