Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and stats from BYU's win over UConn
There was no question who earned the first star in the first contest for the Cougars. One of the biggest questions facing the Cougars was whether Hill could improve his accuracy in the passing game, and against the Huskies he did just that. He completed 28-of-36 passes (77.8 percent) for 308 yards and three touchdowns. He was also dominated with his legs with 97 yards and two scores on 12 carries.
Analyzing the stats
While Hill has had two games with more passing yards than Friday, his 77.8 completion percentage tied for the highest of his BYU career. His five touchdowns were also a career-best.
Four of the five BYU scoring drives took a combined 4:32 of game time, including drives of :06, 1:21, 1:30 and 1:35. Thanks to effectiveness of the BYU offense, UConn owned the time of possession by more than seven minutes.
Even though the Cougars rushed for more than 200 yards, it was the first time since a November 2013 loss to Wisconsin that a BYU player didn't register at least 100 yards on the ground.
Although Connecticut has fielded a team since 1979, the matchup against the Huskies was the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
The win over the Huskies gives BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall a 7-3 record in opening games during his 10 years at the helm for BYU.
The Cougars will face a much tougher test when they travel to Austin, Texas, to take on Charlie Strong and his Longhorns. The Texas roster has been depleted by suspensions and dismissals, but they still have as much talent as any team the Cougars will face in 2014.
The Longhorns will also have a huge chip on their shoulder after BYU did a number on them in their 2013 matchup when the Cougars put up a school-record 550 yards rushing in a 40-21 victory.
Strong is in his first season with Texas after he replaced Mack Brown in the offseason. It will be his second game for the Longhorns, who face North Texas in their first contest.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 49
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 16
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 8