Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and stats from BYU's win over UConn
There was no question who earned the first star in the first contest for the Cougars. One of the biggest questions facing the Cougars was whether Hill could improve his accuracy in the passing game, and against the Huskies he did just that. He completed 28-of-36 passes (77.8 percent) for 308 yards and three touchdowns. He was also dominated with his legs with 97 yards and two scores on 12 carries.
Analyzing the stats
While Hill has had two games with more passing yards than Friday, his 77.8 completion percentage tied for the highest of his BYU career. His five touchdowns were also a career-best.
Four of the five BYU scoring drives took a combined 4:32 of game time, including drives of :06, 1:21, 1:30 and 1:35. Thanks to effectiveness of the BYU offense, UConn owned the time of possession by more than seven minutes.
Even though the Cougars rushed for more than 200 yards, it was the first time since a November 2013 loss to Wisconsin that a BYU player didn't register at least 100 yards on the ground.
Although Connecticut has fielded a team since 1979, the matchup against the Huskies was the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
The win over the Huskies gives BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall a 7-3 record in opening games during his 10 years at the helm for BYU.
The Cougars will face a much tougher test when they travel to Austin, Texas, to take on Charlie Strong and his Longhorns. The Texas roster has been depleted by suspensions and dismissals, but they still have as much talent as any team the Cougars will face in 2014.
The Longhorns will also have a huge chip on their shoulder after BYU did a number on them in their 2013 matchup when the Cougars put up a school-record 550 yards rushing in a 40-21 victory.
Strong is in his first season with Texas after he replaced Mack Brown in the offseason. It will be his second game for the Longhorns, who face North Texas in their first contest.
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Schedule only gets tougher for BYU basketball...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Cougars set to face Aggie QB Keeton in his...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 59
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Disappointed Utes determined to bounce... 24