Wasatch takes to the air, strikes early and often at Mountain View

Published: Saturday, Aug. 30 2014 12:30 a.m. MDT

Wasatch tight end Cade Cloward hauls in the Wasps' first touchdown of the night.

Kenny Bristow, Wasatch Wave

OREM — It didn’t take the Wasatch Wasps long Friday night to redeem themselves from their loss a week earlier.

The Wasps traveled down the mountain to Orem for the second weekend in a row to take on the Mountain View Bruins in a game pitting a pair of 0-1 teams.

Wasatch scored on its first possession of the contest and didn't look back, dominating the home team on the way to a 41-9 victory.

The Wasps, as they had trouble doing in the steady rain in their loss to Timpanogos last Friday, went with an air attack that resulted in four touchdown passes from quarterback Garrett Davis to two of his biggest targets, tight end Cade Cloward and wide receiver Carson Law.

“Obviously the weather last week was a big factor,” said Davis. “But we really weren’t in sync anyway. Tonight we were able to get off to a quick start and establish our game plan early.”

The Bruins received the opening kickoff but turned the ball over on downs to Wasatch near midfield. The Wasps swiftly moved their way to a first and goal at the 10-yard line where Davis connected with Cloward for a touchdown.

Skyler Southam booted the PAT and the visitors were up 7-0 less than four minutes into the game.

After a Mountain View fumble on the ensuing kickoff, Wasatch moved into range for its field goal kicker to add three points, which Southam did easily, nailing the 30-yarder for a 10-0 lead.

The Bruins, trying a combination of runs and short passes behind their quarterback, Jaren Flaker, on their next possession, found the going tough against the Wasp defense.

Wasatch cornerback Nick Piscitelli stepped in front of a short pass in the flat and intercepted the ball, resulting in first and 10 for his team at the Bruins' 32-yard line.

After the short drive stalled, Wasatch called on Southam again, and the junior kicker nailed a 42-yarder for a 13-3 advantage.

Mountain View worked its way to midfield on the next possession but punted to the Wasps, pinning them deep in their own territory.

Davis led his team from having its back against the goal line out to midfield, using tailback Spencer Heywood along with his own legs to give the Wasps breathing room.

Two consecutive completions to wide-out David MacKay gave the Wasps a fresh set of downs at the Bruins' 45-yard line. From there, Davis found Law wide open, cutting to the middle of the zone where the receiver made the catch and legged his way for six points. Southam’s PAT was good, and Wasatch was in command 20-0.

Feeling tremendous momentum, Wasp coaches called for an on-sides kick that Southam recovered himself, giving Wasatch the ball and a chance to go for the kill.

On second and 8, Cloward found a sweet spot in the zone defense and sat wide open as Davis maneuvered for space and hit the tight end for a 43-yard touchdown pass with 6:45 left in the second quarter. The extra-point kick was made by Southam, giving Wasatch a lead of 27-0.

The Bruins, attempting to make something happen quickly to get themselves back in the game, were intercepted just a few plays into their next drive. It was Cloward, this time, taking the pass from the other team’s quarterback and killing the last drive of the half.

The visitors, set to receive the opening kickoff to the second half, found themselves at first and 10 on the 20-yard line after a touchback by Bruin kicker Thomas Redford.

The Wasps went for a big airstrike on first down. Davis rolled to his left and hit Law in stride, streaking wide open down the sideline for an 80-yard touchdown bomb that stunned the home crowd. After Southam connected on the PAT, Wasatch was up a commanding 34-0.