Duschesne High hadn’t felt the bitter taste of defeat in 48 games but had to stomach it once again Friday night.
In a stunner, the Eagles fell to North Summit 14-12, ending Duchesne’s state record run.
“I give the credit to our kids,” North Summit head coach Devin Smith said. “We told them all week that it was going to be a battle both physically and mentally. Our coaches did a good job in preparing a good game plan, but it was the kids, they just battled like crazy.”
Down by two, with seconds remaining, Duchesne faced a fourth down and 4 to sustain its final drive. The North Summit defense held strong, forcing a turnover on downs to end the streak.
The defensive hold at the end was just one of many plays that the Braves' defense made.
“We stopped them on fourth-and-4 at the very end, we kept them from converting a two-point conversion, our kids just found ways to make plays,” Smith said.
North Summit forced a Duchesne safety to start off the scoring, giving the Braves an early 2-0 lead in the first quarter.
North Summit scored twice in the third, highlighted by a 75-yard scoring strike from quarterback Ryan McMichael to Cason DeForest to take a two-point lead into the fourth quarter. The Braves' defense did the rest, pitching a shutout in the final frame to give North Summit the upset.
“We have a great group of seniors,” Smith said. “They are great leaders and they believed in themselves and the rest of the team and they believe they can always win when we play.”
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24