Duschesne High hadn’t felt the bitter taste of defeat in 48 games but had to stomach it once again Friday night.
In a stunner, the Eagles fell to North Summit 14-12, ending Duchesne’s state record run.
“I give the credit to our kids,” North Summit head coach Devin Smith said. “We told them all week that it was going to be a battle both physically and mentally. Our coaches did a good job in preparing a good game plan, but it was the kids, they just battled like crazy.”
Down by two, with seconds remaining, Duchesne faced a fourth down and 4 to sustain its final drive. The North Summit defense held strong, forcing a turnover on downs to end the streak.
The defensive hold at the end was just one of many plays that the Braves' defense made.
“We stopped them on fourth-and-4 at the very end, we kept them from converting a two-point conversion, our kids just found ways to make plays,” Smith said.
North Summit forced a Duchesne safety to start off the scoring, giving the Braves an early 2-0 lead in the first quarter.
North Summit scored twice in the third, highlighted by a 75-yard scoring strike from quarterback Ryan McMichael to Cason DeForest to take a two-point lead into the fourth quarter. The Braves' defense did the rest, pitching a shutout in the final frame to give North Summit the upset.
“We have a great group of seniors,” Smith said. “They are great leaders and they believed in themselves and the rest of the team and they believe they can always win when we play.”
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35