As Dr. Vivian Lee ("Now is the time to invest in NIH," Aug. 26) eloquently explains, medical research simply must be funded at the level of scientific opportunity if we hope to conquer disease and sustain our economy.
Her op-ed could not be more timely as this is the time to ask congressional candidates in Utah and across the country where they stand on medical research. If elected, will they boost funding for innovative studies conducted at the University of Utah and other National Institutes of Health-funded research institutions?
Ask Your Candidates!, a national voter education initiative focused on elevating the importance of research as an election issue, gives voters a platform on which to engage candidates and learn more about their positions: askyourcandidates.org. Should government support for research and innovation be a higher national priority? Utah voters deserve to know.
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 52
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 27
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- My view: Poor federal stewardship... 20