(Scott G Winterton, Deseret News)
TAYLORSVILLE — Unified Police Chief Tracy Wyant has been ruled justified in shooting and wounding a Taylorsville man earlier this month.
Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill announced Friday that Wyant was justified in responding with potentially deadly force when he shot Jared Roskelley, 31, after Roskelley drew his gun rather than complying with orders to keep his hands up and not touch his weapon.
Wyant and Unified officer Shane Chandler responded to a 911 call Aug. 1 from Roskelley's mother, who said he was reportedly high on drugs and had fired a gun toward her house, 5514 S. Ridgecrest Drive. They found Roskelley outside the home, wearing a shoulder holster with a holstered handgun.
As the officers approached, an apparently angry Roskelley yelled into the house, "You called the police?" Despite commands from Wyant and Chandler, Roskelley told the officers, "Just shoot me," drew the gun from its holster and turned toward the officers.
Wyant fired four rounds, striking Roskelley, according to the district attorney's report.
While being treated at the hospital, Roskelley reportedly told investigators and medical staff, "I didn't want to hurt anyone. I just pointed the gun at them so they would shoot me."
Neighbors told investigators they had heard a shot before officers arrived and the instructions officers gave Roskelley. Investigators said Roskelley's gun, a .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun, was loaded with 10 rounds, including a round in the chamber.
— McKenzie Romero
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23