BYU's 25-point win over UConn best margin of victory in a road opener since 1992
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — BYU's 35-10 win over UConn started the Cougars' 2014 season off on the right foot, and it also broke an interesting trend for BYU.
BYU's 25-point win is BYU's largest margin of victory in a season opener under head coach Bronco Mendenhall. In fact, the Cougars haven't beaten an opponent in a season opener on the road since 1992 when the Cougars took down UTEP 38-28.
Mendenhall is 3-3 in season openers away from LaVell Edwards Stadium. While his 14-13 win over then-No. 3 Oklahoma at Cowboys Stadium may be more impressive, this is the first time the Cougars won by more than one point in a road season opener. BYU's other road season opener was a close game at Ole Miss.
BYU fans hope this becomes a new trend for the Cougars from here on out.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18