BYU's 25-point win over UConn best margin of victory in a road opener since 1992
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — BYU's 35-10 win over UConn started the Cougars' 2014 season off on the right foot, and it also broke an interesting trend for BYU.
BYU's 25-point win is BYU's largest margin of victory in a season opener under head coach Bronco Mendenhall. In fact, the Cougars haven't beaten an opponent in a season opener on the road since 1992 when the Cougars took down UTEP 38-28.
Mendenhall is 3-3 in season openers away from LaVell Edwards Stadium. While his 14-13 win over then-No. 3 Oklahoma at Cowboys Stadium may be more impressive, this is the first time the Cougars won by more than one point in a road season opener. BYU's other road season opener was a close game at Ole Miss.
BYU fans hope this becomes a new trend for the Cougars from here on out.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19