Westminster basketball: men’s team announces 2014-15 schedule
The Westminster men’s basketball team released its schedule for the upcoming 2014-15 season on Friday. Head coach Adam Hiatt has put together a challenging schedule that features 16 home games and four teams that made the 2014 NAIA National Championships.
For the second-straight season the Griffins begin the year with a trip to Canada for back-to-back games at Vancouver Island on Oct. 17 and 18. The home opener is slated for Oct. 31, against Colorado Mines in the Behnken Field House. The Westminster Tipoff Classic begins Nov. 7, with a game versus Colorado State-Pueblo, and is followed with a Nov. 8 game against Fort Lewis.
Westminster heads on the road for a span of four games over two weekends that starts in Las Vegas for games against Vanguard on Nov. 14 and then Concordia on Nov. 15. The Griffins are off to Idaho the following weekend to face College of Idaho on Nov. 21 and Northwest Nazarene on Nov. 22.
The Westminster Thanksgiving Classic takes place in the Behnken Field House on Nov. 28 and 29. The Griffins open against 2014 NAIA semifinalist Saint Gregory’s before facing NAIA quarterfinalist Cal State San Marcos in the finale.
The home stand continues with back-to-back games against Saint Katherine on Dec. 3 and 4, and then two games with Concordia-Alberta on Dec. 19 and 20. The non-conference schedule concludes in Santa Barbara, California, with games versus Victoria on Dec. 29 and Saskatchewan on Dec. 30.
Frontier Conference play begins with a home game against Carroll on Jan. 8 and Rocky Mountain on Jan. 10. The Griffins are then on the road for two weeks with games at Montana Western on Jan. 17, Great Falls on Jan. 23 and Montana State-Northern on Jan. 24.
Westminster then plays five of the next seven games in Salt Lake City. The team begins the stretch against Montana Tech on Jan. 29, with the next game against Lewis-Clark State on Jan. 31. After playing at Rocky Mountain on Feb. 5 and Carroll on Feb. 7, the Griffins return home to face Montana Western on Feb. 14. The final two regular season home games are scheduled for Feb. 19 against Great Falls and Feb. 21 versus Montana State-Northern.
The regular season concludes with games at Lewis-Clark State on Feb. 26 and Montana Tech on Feb. 28.
The Frontier Conference begins with quarterfinal games at the home sites of the No. 3 and 4 seeds on March 4. The league’s top two seeds host semifinal games on March 7, with the championship games taking place March 10.
The NAIA National Championships will be held at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri, from March 18-24.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- RSL hangs on to defeat Houston, thanks to...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 94
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 46
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 29
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14