Westminster basketball: men’s team announces 2014-15 schedule
The Westminster men’s basketball team released its schedule for the upcoming 2014-15 season on Friday. Head coach Adam Hiatt has put together a challenging schedule that features 16 home games and four teams that made the 2014 NAIA National Championships.
For the second-straight season the Griffins begin the year with a trip to Canada for back-to-back games at Vancouver Island on Oct. 17 and 18. The home opener is slated for Oct. 31, against Colorado Mines in the Behnken Field House. The Westminster Tipoff Classic begins Nov. 7, with a game versus Colorado State-Pueblo, and is followed with a Nov. 8 game against Fort Lewis.
Westminster heads on the road for a span of four games over two weekends that starts in Las Vegas for games against Vanguard on Nov. 14 and then Concordia on Nov. 15. The Griffins are off to Idaho the following weekend to face College of Idaho on Nov. 21 and Northwest Nazarene on Nov. 22.
The Westminster Thanksgiving Classic takes place in the Behnken Field House on Nov. 28 and 29. The Griffins open against 2014 NAIA semifinalist Saint Gregory’s before facing NAIA quarterfinalist Cal State San Marcos in the finale.
The home stand continues with back-to-back games against Saint Katherine on Dec. 3 and 4, and then two games with Concordia-Alberta on Dec. 19 and 20. The non-conference schedule concludes in Santa Barbara, California, with games versus Victoria on Dec. 29 and Saskatchewan on Dec. 30.
Frontier Conference play begins with a home game against Carroll on Jan. 8 and Rocky Mountain on Jan. 10. The Griffins are then on the road for two weeks with games at Montana Western on Jan. 17, Great Falls on Jan. 23 and Montana State-Northern on Jan. 24.
Westminster then plays five of the next seven games in Salt Lake City. The team begins the stretch against Montana Tech on Jan. 29, with the next game against Lewis-Clark State on Jan. 31. After playing at Rocky Mountain on Feb. 5 and Carroll on Feb. 7, the Griffins return home to face Montana Western on Feb. 14. The final two regular season home games are scheduled for Feb. 19 against Great Falls and Feb. 21 versus Montana State-Northern.
The regular season concludes with games at Lewis-Clark State on Feb. 26 and Montana Tech on Feb. 28.
The Frontier Conference begins with quarterfinal games at the home sites of the No. 3 and 4 seeds on March 4. The league’s top two seeds host semifinal games on March 7, with the championship games taking place March 10.
The NAIA National Championships will be held at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri, from March 18-24.
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Dallin Bachynski delivers...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 88
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20