Westminster basketball: men’s team announces 2014-15 schedule
The Westminster men’s basketball team released its schedule for the upcoming 2014-15 season on Friday. Head coach Adam Hiatt has put together a challenging schedule that features 16 home games and four teams that made the 2014 NAIA National Championships.
For the second-straight season the Griffins begin the year with a trip to Canada for back-to-back games at Vancouver Island on Oct. 17 and 18. The home opener is slated for Oct. 31, against Colorado Mines in the Behnken Field House. The Westminster Tipoff Classic begins Nov. 7, with a game versus Colorado State-Pueblo, and is followed with a Nov. 8 game against Fort Lewis.
Westminster heads on the road for a span of four games over two weekends that starts in Las Vegas for games against Vanguard on Nov. 14 and then Concordia on Nov. 15. The Griffins are off to Idaho the following weekend to face College of Idaho on Nov. 21 and Northwest Nazarene on Nov. 22.
The Westminster Thanksgiving Classic takes place in the Behnken Field House on Nov. 28 and 29. The Griffins open against 2014 NAIA semifinalist Saint Gregory’s before facing NAIA quarterfinalist Cal State San Marcos in the finale.
The home stand continues with back-to-back games against Saint Katherine on Dec. 3 and 4, and then two games with Concordia-Alberta on Dec. 19 and 20. The non-conference schedule concludes in Santa Barbara, California, with games versus Victoria on Dec. 29 and Saskatchewan on Dec. 30.
Frontier Conference play begins with a home game against Carroll on Jan. 8 and Rocky Mountain on Jan. 10. The Griffins are then on the road for two weeks with games at Montana Western on Jan. 17, Great Falls on Jan. 23 and Montana State-Northern on Jan. 24.
Westminster then plays five of the next seven games in Salt Lake City. The team begins the stretch against Montana Tech on Jan. 29, with the next game against Lewis-Clark State on Jan. 31. After playing at Rocky Mountain on Feb. 5 and Carroll on Feb. 7, the Griffins return home to face Montana Western on Feb. 14. The final two regular season home games are scheduled for Feb. 19 against Great Falls and Feb. 21 versus Montana State-Northern.
The regular season concludes with games at Lewis-Clark State on Feb. 26 and Montana Tech on Feb. 28.
The Frontier Conference begins with quarterfinal games at the home sites of the No. 3 and 4 seeds on March 4. The league’s top two seeds host semifinal games on March 7, with the championship games taking place March 10.
The NAIA National Championships will be held at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Missouri, from March 18-24.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 64
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14