Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of mom accused of leaving baby in trash
KEARNS — New accusations are being brought forward as investigators look into the woman accused of dumping her newborn baby in a trash can.
Unified police is reviewing photos believed to show 23-year-old Alicia Englert, under investigation for the attempted murder of her newborn daughter, with a beer in hand at a Salt Lake night club days before the baby was born.
"We're going to evaluate to see what the evidence is, if it helps in the case, if it doesn't help in the case, and that's exactly what we're going to do with these photos," Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said Thursday.
Englert is accused of leaving the 2-day-old baby in a trash can near her home Tuesday morning "in hopes that it would die and solve her problems," according to a jail report. The baby, who was discovered with garbage on top of her, was suffering from minor hypothermia and was taken to Primary Children's Hospital, where she remains in critical condition.
Englert's parents, who have said their daughter is mentally and emotionally incapable of understanding the severity of her actions, declined to comment on the photos Thursday.
Englert's cousins have begun a fundraising campaign to support the baby, who they are calling "Hope."
A two-day fundraiser has been planned for this weekend at West View Park in West Valley, and donations can be made at Wells Fargo Bank locations.
"This little girl has got spirit," said Lisa Hansen, a cousin. "She's still going. That's all that matters. She was intended to be here. She's here."
Vania Schmidt says she isn't judging her cousin.
"That's not for any of us to decide," Schmidt said. "You know, we don't know what she was thinking, what she was feeling."
Contributing: Andrew Adams
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- UHP welcomes back Kotter, a trooper shot 4...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 49
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 34
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8