Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes core muscle surgery
Paul Sancya, AP
Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy underwent surgery “to repair a core muscle,” the Detroit Lions announced Thursday.
“We will continue to monitor Kyle's progress and provide updates when appropriate,” the Lions said in a statement prior to their preseason finale against the Buffalo Bills.
The Detroit News reported that Van Noy will likely be out for 4-6 weeks.
Van Noy was a second-round pick (40th overall) by Detroit in this year’s NFL draft, and in two preseason games, he had two tackles and a pass defended. According to the Lions’ release, Van Noy first noticed the injury during practice the day before Detroit played Jacksonville in the preseason last week.
“It was one of those things that progressed and got a little bit worse,” Lions head coach Jim Caldwell told the media earlier this week. “It was not one particular event where it happened.”
This comes after another former Cougar, defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, missed offseason workouts and the first half of training camp while recovering from shoulder surgery. Ansah played Thursday against the Bills, recording a sack.
“I’ve never been injured until I got here,” Van Noy told the Detroit News. “That was the first game I’ve ever missed in my entire life, so it’s been pretty frustrating.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 33
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7