Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes core muscle surgery
Paul Sancya, AP
Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy underwent surgery “to repair a core muscle,” the Detroit Lions announced Thursday.
“We will continue to monitor Kyle's progress and provide updates when appropriate,” the Lions said in a statement prior to their preseason finale against the Buffalo Bills.
The Detroit News reported that Van Noy will likely be out for 4-6 weeks.
Van Noy was a second-round pick (40th overall) by Detroit in this year’s NFL draft, and in two preseason games, he had two tackles and a pass defended. According to the Lions’ release, Van Noy first noticed the injury during practice the day before Detroit played Jacksonville in the preseason last week.
“It was one of those things that progressed and got a little bit worse,” Lions head coach Jim Caldwell told the media earlier this week. “It was not one particular event where it happened.”
This comes after another former Cougar, defensive end Ezekiel Ansah, missed offseason workouts and the first half of training camp while recovering from shoulder surgery. Ansah played Thursday against the Bills, recording a sack.
“I’ve never been injured until I got here,” Van Noy told the Detroit News. “That was the first game I’ve ever missed in my entire life, so it’s been pretty frustrating.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16