Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told investigators he 'lashed out' in frustration
OGDEN — A man charged with killing his girlfriend's 14-month-old daughter told investigators he acted out of frustration.
Adam Joseph Barney, 23, was charged Thursday in 2nd District Court with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, after investigators say he punched the girl in the head and stomach before squeezing her "substantially."
Preliminary autopsy results indicate the girl died from blunt-force trauma to the stomach causing internal hemorrhaging.
Emergency personnel responded to the Western Colony Inn, 234 24th St., on Tuesday and found the girl dead when they arrived. Barney had been caring for the girl and two other children while their mother, his live-in girlfriend, was at work.
"Barney admitted that due to his increased frustration over the dirty living condition, the victim crying and other two children misbehaving, he lashed out at (the girl)," charges state.
Charging documents describe Barney throwing, punching and squeezing the girl before leaving her lying on a bed while he cleaned up. Barney then left the room with the children. Barney told investigators he noticed the girl seemed out of breath and was lethargic in her stroller.
After they returned, Barney said he left the girl in the stroller and later realized she was dead, charges state. He cleaned the girl up and later called her mother, who told him to call 911.
— McKenzie Romero
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Utah communities still among fastest-growing...
- Salt Lake police: Hundreds of once-backlogged...
- Exhibit highlights Utah contributions to...
- Charges: Man set fire to sister's Salt Lake...
- How you can be trained to recognize signs of...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 14
- National conservative group backs... 14