LDS Church News

Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off Mount Whitney

By Jason Swensen

LDS Church News

Published: Saturday, Aug. 30 2014 12:05 a.m. MDT

Scouts and leaders from Troop 496 of the Hanford 1st Ward, Hanford California Stake, gather at the conclusion of a six-day hike culminated by an ascent up Mount Whitney. The Scouts helped rescue a distressed couple during their hike.

James Myers

Enlarge photo»

Each summer, tens of thousands of LDS Scouts head to the hills (or, maybe, the mountains, the caves or the lakes) to enjoy the outdoors, earn a few merit badges and unify their troops and quorums.

The vast majority of Scouts return home with fun memories, rank advancements and, at worst, mild sunburn.

When members of Scout Troop 496 from the Hanford 1st Ward, Hanford California Stake, recently set out to summit Mount Whitney, they fully expected a week of high adventure — but nothing that would claim the attention of the evening news.

Instead, they returned home with a new appreciation for the Scout motto “Be Prepared,” and a deepened love for the power of prayer and the priesthood.

Hanford 1st Ward Bishop Jonathan Buckley said there were early signs that their recent, six-day hike, highlighted by an ascent of California’s highest peak, would be replete with trials and character-revealing moments.

On the first day, one leader realized he had forgotten his sleeping bag and had to return home to get it. A few boys began showing signs of altitude sickness early in their hike. Their equipment didn’t always work and the weather was generally disagreeable. Sometimes the leaders had to push the boys to walk a bit faster to keep to their tight schedule.

But despite their troubles, the troop remained in good spirits. No one whined about the heat or complained about the distance.

“Throughout the whole trip, the boys helped each other out and looked out for one another,” said Bishop Buckley.

Nightly scripture devotionals delivered by the young men also helped keep spirits high.

By day four of their trip the troop had reached the base camp where they would embark upon the rugged trail to the top of Mount Whitney, elevation 14,505 feet.

Bishop Buckley said the summit-bound group of Scouts left base camp a bit later than scheduled. The delay would prove to be a blessing. By the time the first group reached the top of Mount Whitney in mid-afternoon, dark clouds had begun settling over the summit. Soon it began hailing. Lightning was imminent.

“I knew it was time to get off the summit,” said the bishop.

While the group was making its slow, deliberate four-mile descent back to the base camp, they passed a married couple struggling their way to the summit.

“They didn’t look good,” said Bishop Buckley. “I told them they should return to camp, but they chose to continue.”

Two of the troop’s young adult leaders on the camping trip, Brian Phillips, 23, and George Myers, 21, were a short distance behind the bishop and the main group. They encountered the couple a short time later.

The man and woman, who were both in their 30s, were without water and were struggling with the elements and the high altitude. Brian and George recognized they were in trouble.

“And then the woman collapsed,” said the bishop.

The two young Scout leaders shared their remaining water and were able to revive the woman. George ran down the trail to catch up with the others and make emergency preparations at the base camp. Brian began the slow walk down the trail, supporting the woman at his side.

When Bishop Buckley learned that the distressed couple was returning to camp, he knew they would need a warm shelter to spend the evening. He erected a small tent that he had found abandoned a few hours earlier in the day. Then he asked the Scouts and other campers in the area if they would be willing to give up their sleeping bag or other provisions to assist the man and woman.

“Everyone was willing to help, the boys really rose to the occasion,” he said.