Jeff Barnard, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The state Division of Wildlife Resources will hold a series of hunting fairs and seminars for those who want to learn how to hunt ducks and geese.
Blair Stringham, migratory game bird coordinator for the DWR, says all duck and goose hunters, including experienced hunters, are invited to attend the events in Brigham City, Farmington, Lehi and Salt Lake City.
"But the training is aimed mostly at those who are just getting started or who have never hunted ducks or geese before," he said.
Hunters will learn how to identify different species of ducks, how to lure ducks and geese by placing decoys and calling, shotgun shooting basics, duck and goose behavior including the best times and conditions to hunt, and some of the best places in Utah to hunt ducks and geese.
Stringham said the training will be held in settings from one-night seminars to a Waterfowl University that runs for four nights.
A training session will be held Sept. 6, noon-3 p.m. in the Refuge Education Center at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, 2155 W. Forest St., Brigham City. Call 435-723-5887, or visit the refuge site at fws.gov for more information.
A Youth Waterfowl Fair will be held Sept. 13, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, 1325 W. Glover Lane, Farmington. Youths will also have a chance to take an airboat ride. Call 801-476-2740 for more information.
Waterfowl University will take place Sept. 9, 10, 16 and 17 for young hunters age 12-17. The event is at Cabela's in Lehi from 5-7 p.m. each evening. Those who attend will receive a free duck call. To register, or for more information, call 801-766-2500.
And a Waterfowl Hunting Seminar will be offered by Ducks Unlimited member Jeff Bringhurst, Sept. 17, 7-9 p.m. at the DWR's Salt Lake office, 1594 W. North Temple. For more information, call 801-244-4582.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12