Jeff Barnard, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The state Division of Wildlife Resources will hold a series of hunting fairs and seminars for those who want to learn how to hunt ducks and geese.
Blair Stringham, migratory game bird coordinator for the DWR, says all duck and goose hunters, including experienced hunters, are invited to attend the events in Brigham City, Farmington, Lehi and Salt Lake City.
"But the training is aimed mostly at those who are just getting started or who have never hunted ducks or geese before," he said.
Hunters will learn how to identify different species of ducks, how to lure ducks and geese by placing decoys and calling, shotgun shooting basics, duck and goose behavior including the best times and conditions to hunt, and some of the best places in Utah to hunt ducks and geese.
Stringham said the training will be held in settings from one-night seminars to a Waterfowl University that runs for four nights.
A training session will be held Sept. 6, noon-3 p.m. in the Refuge Education Center at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, 2155 W. Forest St., Brigham City. Call 435-723-5887, or visit the refuge site at fws.gov for more information.
A Youth Waterfowl Fair will be held Sept. 13, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, 1325 W. Glover Lane, Farmington. Youths will also have a chance to take an airboat ride. Call 801-476-2740 for more information.
Waterfowl University will take place Sept. 9, 10, 16 and 17 for young hunters age 12-17. The event is at Cabela's in Lehi from 5-7 p.m. each evening. Those who attend will receive a free duck call. To register, or for more information, call 801-766-2500.
And a Waterfowl Hunting Seminar will be offered by Ducks Unlimited member Jeff Bringhurst, Sept. 17, 7-9 p.m. at the DWR's Salt Lake office, 1594 W. North Temple. For more information, call 801-244-4582.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7