Jeff Barnard, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The state Division of Wildlife Resources will hold a series of hunting fairs and seminars for those who want to learn how to hunt ducks and geese.
Blair Stringham, migratory game bird coordinator for the DWR, says all duck and goose hunters, including experienced hunters, are invited to attend the events in Brigham City, Farmington, Lehi and Salt Lake City.
"But the training is aimed mostly at those who are just getting started or who have never hunted ducks or geese before," he said.
Hunters will learn how to identify different species of ducks, how to lure ducks and geese by placing decoys and calling, shotgun shooting basics, duck and goose behavior including the best times and conditions to hunt, and some of the best places in Utah to hunt ducks and geese.
Stringham said the training will be held in settings from one-night seminars to a Waterfowl University that runs for four nights.
A training session will be held Sept. 6, noon-3 p.m. in the Refuge Education Center at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, 2155 W. Forest St., Brigham City. Call 435-723-5887, or visit the refuge site at fws.gov for more information.
A Youth Waterfowl Fair will be held Sept. 13, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area, 1325 W. Glover Lane, Farmington. Youths will also have a chance to take an airboat ride. Call 801-476-2740 for more information.
Waterfowl University will take place Sept. 9, 10, 16 and 17 for young hunters age 12-17. The event is at Cabela's in Lehi from 5-7 p.m. each evening. Those who attend will receive a free duck call. To register, or for more information, call 801-766-2500.
And a Waterfowl Hunting Seminar will be offered by Ducks Unlimited member Jeff Bringhurst, Sept. 17, 7-9 p.m. at the DWR's Salt Lake office, 1594 W. North Temple. For more information, call 801-244-4582.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Police say man murdered his mother in her...
- UTA offers fare for food in Utah Food Bank drive
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 39
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 37
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 13
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8