WEST VALLEY CITY — Police recovered $10,000 in car parts suspected of being stolen after a chase of a fleeing U-Haul vehicle Thursday morning.
Around 4:30 a.m., West Valley police engaged a U-Haul vehicle in Murray. When police attempted to speak to the driver in a parking lot, the driver fled, according to West Valley Police Sgt. Todd Gray.
Officers followed the driver for about two minutes but abandoned the search as the driver was suspected of evading police, Gray said.
Minutes later, officers in the area spotted the vehicle and spiked one of the U-Haul's tires. They engaged in the pursuit for two more minutes, during which the driver crashed into a K-9 officer's vehicle, according to police.
The officer was not injured, and his vehicle received only minor damage.
Police eventually spiked all of the tires on the U-Haul.
"He ultimately stopped the vehicle and gave up and submitted to custody" in a neighborhood near 5800 West and 4300 South, Gray said.
Officers found about $10,000 in car parts, including truck tires, rims, batteries and tools, inside the U-Haul, Gray said. Most of the property was discovered to be stolen, some from Freightliner, a local trucking company.
Police arrested Everett Eichbauer, 50, for investigation of aggravated assault, evading police, hit-and-run and possession of stolen property.
Police said Eichbauer admitted to stealing the items in the U-Haul.
Eichbauer did not rent the U-Haul, and police have not yet determined who rented it, according to police. It is unclear whether the U-Haul was stolen.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 50
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23