Intense rainstorm causes widespread flooding in Uintah County
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
VERNAL — An intense rainstorm that dumped more than an inch of water on the Vernal area early Wednesday touched off flash floods throughout Uintah County.
The storm boiled up over the county's west side about 11:30 a.m. Within 20 minutes, so much rain had fallen in downtown Vernal that drivers were pushing aside waves of standing water as they drove through the intersection at U.S. 40 and Vernal Avenue.
By noon, Uintah County Emergency Management Director Tal Ehlers had put out a call for volunteers to help fill sandbags. Scores of people answered the call, arriving at Western Park armed with shovels.
"We've filled probably in the vicinity of 6,000 to 7,000 sandbags this afternoon," Ehlers said.
"We want people to be prepared," he added. "If they've had some flooding or think they're going to have some more flooding, we have sandbags down here and we'd like people to come pick those up, take them to their homes and do what they can to prepare."
Officials are also urging people to use caution while driving, especially if they encounter areas of standing water or water moving across a road.
"Underneath that water, you might think it's shallow, but there could be silt or obstacles under there and we certainly don't want to see anyone get stuck in flood waters," Ehlers said.
Damage reports were still coming in Wednesday night from around the county. Anyone with damage as a result of the flooding is asked to call 435-781-5470 or 435-781-5468. Those who need sandbags to protect their homes can pick them up in the parking lot of the Ashley Valley Food Pantry in Vernal just east of Western Park, 200 S. 300 East
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Herriman man dies following fistfight with...
- Utah Highway Patrol trooper shot multiple...
- Fatal shot in standoff with West Jordan...
- A community comes together to support a...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Pending divorce may have sparked brutal...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 77
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 72
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 18
- Man shot, killed by Spanish Fork police... 18
- UHP locates owner of doghouse that... 12