Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In 2006 Trevor Lewis' dream came true when he was drafted 17th overall by the L.A. Kings.
Now in 2014 Lewis is a two-time Stanley Cup Champion and a heroic hockey figure around the state of Utah.
The Utah native and Brighton High alumni Lewis brought the Stanley Cup back to his hometown of Salt Lake City Wednesday afternoon with his family and entourage surrounding him.
“There is no better place to bring it back to,” Lewis said. “Seeing all the support I saw last time and got again is great and hopefully the hockey community can keep growing.”
Lewis, 27, has won the Stanley Cup twice during his time with the Kings: “It’s something you dream about your whole life and this is my second time and hopefully we can do it again," he said.
With close to 6,000 fans at the State Capitol Wednesday, “It’s crazy and unreal” Lewis said of all the support to see him and the Cup.
During the NHL playoffs Lewis and his teammates had to battle to even make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They played three Game 7s along the way.
“It’s pretty incredible," Lewis said of being a part of history. “It’s something I will never forget.”
The Stanley Cup run included being down 3-0 in the first round of the playoffs.
This time around Lewis’ name was on the Stanley Cup from when he won in the 2011-12 season.
“It’s pretty special,” said Lewis, who was taking his turn with the Cup.
What will Lewis do with his time with the Cup this year?
“We have a lot of plans, and I will share it with my family and friends,” he said.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at sportsathomeradio.com for news and notes inside and out state the state of Utah in the world of sports.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- RSL hangs on to defeat Houston, thanks to...
- 2016 NFL draft: Southern Utah's Miles...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 94
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 46
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 29
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14