Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In 2006 Trevor Lewis' dream came true when he was drafted 17th overall by the L.A. Kings.
Now in 2014 Lewis is a two-time Stanley Cup Champion and a heroic hockey figure around the state of Utah.
The Utah native and Brighton High alumni Lewis brought the Stanley Cup back to his hometown of Salt Lake City Wednesday afternoon with his family and entourage surrounding him.
“There is no better place to bring it back to,” Lewis said. “Seeing all the support I saw last time and got again is great and hopefully the hockey community can keep growing.”
Lewis, 27, has won the Stanley Cup twice during his time with the Kings: “It’s something you dream about your whole life and this is my second time and hopefully we can do it again," he said.
With close to 6,000 fans at the State Capitol Wednesday, “It’s crazy and unreal” Lewis said of all the support to see him and the Cup.
During the NHL playoffs Lewis and his teammates had to battle to even make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They played three Game 7s along the way.
“It’s pretty incredible," Lewis said of being a part of history. “It’s something I will never forget.”
The Stanley Cup run included being down 3-0 in the first round of the playoffs.
This time around Lewis’ name was on the Stanley Cup from when he won in the 2011-12 season.
“It’s pretty special,” said Lewis, who was taking his turn with the Cup.
What will Lewis do with his time with the Cup this year?
“We have a lot of plans, and I will share it with my family and friends,” he said.
Follow David Winkworth on Twitter @RealDavidVito and listen to his podcast at sportsathomeradio.com for news and notes inside and out state the state of Utah in the world of sports.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 56
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21