Westminster soccer: Griffin women play twice in the Palmetto State
The Westminster women’s soccer team returns to action with a pair of games in South Carolina over Labor Day weekend. The Griffins open the trip against SCAD Savannah at the SCAD Sports Complex in Hardeeville, South Carolina, on Friday at 5 p.m. MT. They then play South Carolina Beaufort at Fin Land Field in Bluffton, South Carolina, on Monday at 9 a.m.
While there is no live coverage of the game against SCAD, there will be live video and live stats available during Monday’s game at USC Beaufort.
Westminster heads to the Palmetto State after picking up a 1-0 win over Weber State last Friday. The win was the Griffins first victory over a NCAA Division I opponent.
The Griffins were out-shot in the game, 14-9, and they scored on the only shot they put on goal in the contest. They also attempted seven of their nine shots after halftime.
Abby Holbrook scored the only goal in the game on a free kick. The goal was the first of her career and came on her only shot of the game. All nine Griffin shots came from nine different players.
Abi Yanke earned the shutout victory in goal with five saves. It was her ninth career victory and shutout.
SCAD Savannah has started the 2014 season with a 2-1 record. The Bees have wins over Middle Georgia State and Southeastern, while averaging 3.0 goals per game and attempting 19.3 shots per outing. Olivia Buechler leads the team with three goals, while Ryanne Frazier and Kelly McKay have each scored twice. Sara Hall has a .750 save percentage with a 1.37 goals-against-average.
USCB opened the season with a 4-1 win over Milligan last Saturday. The Sand Sharks took 16 shots in the game with eight of them on goal. The limited Milligan to nine shots with three on target. Four different players scored in the game with MJ Orduna getting credit for the game winner with her strike in the 38th minute. Chelsie Mummert and Fred Gallman each made one save during their half in goal.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33