SANDY — The Canyons School District’s Special Education Department recently acknowledged the accomplishments of seven educators and staff members.
The district workers were recognized during the district’s sixth annual Special Education Opening Institute.
Honored for preschool was Deborah Willoughby, who works with Sandy Elementary and Midvale Elementary schools and was nominated for her ability to create learning opportunities that help her students grow and progress.
Elementary school recognition went to Shelley Phillips with Park Lane Elementary Accommodated Core, nominated for her skills in working with students with autism.
Melody Andrus of Butler Middle School was recognized and nominated for making sure her students have every opportunity to be successful. Anne Behrent with Alta High School was noted for helping make Alta High more accessible for all special education students.
School psychologist Megan Terry of Copperview Elementary was nominated for her calm, precise thinking and dependability in stressful situations. Speech language pathologist Amy Tyrell, also of Copperview Elementary, was recognized for her willingness to share her expertise and experiential knowledge.
Sue Mikel, a physical therapist who works with students at Canyons schools, was recognized as a related-service provider. Colleagues called her problem-solving skills inspiring.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29