SANDY — The Canyons School District’s Special Education Department recently acknowledged the accomplishments of seven educators and staff members.
The district workers were recognized during the district’s sixth annual Special Education Opening Institute.
Honored for preschool was Deborah Willoughby, who works with Sandy Elementary and Midvale Elementary schools and was nominated for her ability to create learning opportunities that help her students grow and progress.
Elementary school recognition went to Shelley Phillips with Park Lane Elementary Accommodated Core, nominated for her skills in working with students with autism.
Melody Andrus of Butler Middle School was recognized and nominated for making sure her students have every opportunity to be successful. Anne Behrent with Alta High School was noted for helping make Alta High more accessible for all special education students.
School psychologist Megan Terry of Copperview Elementary was nominated for her calm, precise thinking and dependability in stressful situations. Speech language pathologist Amy Tyrell, also of Copperview Elementary, was recognized for her willingness to share her expertise and experiential knowledge.
Sue Mikel, a physical therapist who works with students at Canyons schools, was recognized as a related-service provider. Colleagues called her problem-solving skills inspiring.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- Rally in support of police also draws... 39
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 22
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands... 8